Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to Create a Current System Snapshot - And How To Restore to It

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 confoosedguy

confoosedguy

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 05 August 2015 - 10:08 PM

I just did a factory restore to the original settings, and tweaked stuff all day to optimize the settings of the machine.  I am now interested in saving a system snapshot onto my D drive (the OS runs on C drive I think), of the current exact state of the machine.  

Does someone know what this is called and where on this site I might find a document or post that shows how to do it?  (I don't have an internal or external CD drive if that's needed, or maybe it's not?)

And then how to restore to this exact point in time in the future if ever needed? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 05 August 2015 - 10:35 PM

There are 2 options you may want to use at any case.

Using Windows System Restore

Windows 7 Backup and Restore

Tekken

#3 confoosedguy

confoosedguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 12:30 AM

THANK YOU!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 06 August 2015 - 08:26 AM

Sounds to me...what you want is to clone your Windows install.  This can be done, anytime...a clone is an exact copy of all files on that partition.  Cloning software abounds and some backup software also has the capability to create clones of drives.

Alternatively, backup software does the same thing as cloning...the difference lies in the fact that a clone can be immediately restored without using any other software...if it's on a separate hard drive.

I've never used Windows Backup so I can't say how reliable it may be...but I've used cloning software for years and I have more confidence in it (because I have actual positive experiences with such).

IMO, System Restore has always had (and continue to have) expressed doubts about the wisdom of relying on it.  Again, I don't use it, since I rely on backup/cloning software from 3d-party vendors/developers.

Louis

#5 confoosedguy

confoosedguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 12:23 AM

Thanks to both of you! 

Louis, if I understand correctly, a system restore could require a Windows 7 disk (or similar), wheres a third party cloning software would not?

So just so I am describing what I want to accomplish correctly (because I know people have different goals in mind when setting things up):

Let's say right now I get the machine to where everything is set the way I like...the browsers are all working well, all desired extensions are instaled and humming, all Windows options are configured in a preferred way, the system is optimized for speed based on some tweaks, all desired software programs are on the machine.

And what I want to do is save this exact state of the machine particularly all the settings of the stuff I just described.  I don't really care about any documents (word docs, excel, photos, etc) because I will save that to an external drive and disconnect it daily.

The main idea is that since over time, there's little (or big) malware programs that slow the machine down gradually without me noticing the speed decrease, and then hour glasses from time to time in browsers, I'd prefer to just run a cloning software to get it back to this exact state it's in right now, and to perform this at least once each week.  

And the way I want to use it, I'm not interested in setting a cloning schedule (like a scheduled backup, or a scheduled auto system restore where old restore points get bumped out as new ones are added).  The reason for this is because the moment it were to save a new cloned snapshot after the first one where settings are perfect, is that it could be saving malware, so I want to cut that possibility out as much as possible.  Am I describing this clearly?

Secondly, is there a solid free one that you like to third party tool that you like to use for this?

Lastly, if the computer is running Windows on one of the partitioned drives, assuming I should install the cloning software on the other drive maybe and safe the cloned copy on the same drive as the cloning software?  

Then again maybe the system restore described at above link has the same option I don't know.   I read through the process and it does let you choose where to save the backup and system image it seems.

Edited by confoosedguy, 08 August 2015 - 01:09 AM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 08 August 2015 - 10:19 AM

I don't know what System Restore requires...because I've never used it.  As I stated, I've been making clones for eons, going back to the days before such became a common recommendation.

I would presume that SR requires a hard drive in good order, first and foremost...and possibly a Windows system that can at least boot.

A cloned disk/partition requires only a hard drive in good order (on which the clone is stored).

Louis

#7 confoosedguy

confoosedguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 11:29 AM

Excellent then thank you Louis!

Is there a good free third party software that you like for this?

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 01:04 PM

If you are looking for software to clone you drive Macrium Reflect is a good program for this.

Edited by dc3, 08 August 2015 - 01:05 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 confoosedguy

confoosedguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 02:45 PM

Excellent thank you DC3!

Edited by confoosedguy, 08 August 2015 - 02:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users