Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Install Error C1900101-4000D

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 05 August 2015 - 08:35 PM

I have an Acer Aspire 9410Z Laptop with Windows 7 32-bit Home Premium installed (was originally Windows Vista, but then got upgraded to Windows 7 via a family pack upgrade DVD).

Have tried, unsuccessfully, for several days to upgrade this laptop to Windows 10.  However, after the download completes, the install process always fails, giving an error code of C1900101-400D.

Does anyone know what this Windows 10 install error code means, and perhaps have a possible solution I can try?

Thanks.

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Torvald

Torvald
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2015 - 10:24 PM

A little more info, to illustrate where the Windows 10 install fails each time:

Going through Windows Update, the 2,092.5 MB of files successfully download. 

• It then proceeds through preparing for installation
  • preparing for the upgrade
  • Microsoft Software License Terms
  • your upgrade is ready to install - start the upgrade now
  • configuring update for Windows 10
  • computer restarts
  • loading files
  • upgrading Windows
  • copying files - 100%
  • computer restarts
  • installing features and drivers - 91%
  • computer restarts
  • configuring settings
  • "Your computer has run into a problem and needs to restart"
  • computer restarts
  • "Attempting to recover installation",
  • "Restoring your previous version of Windows"
  • computer restarts
  • and......laptop is back to Windows 7, with another failed Windows 10 upgrade failure.

#3 johnyjohn

johnyjohn

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 06 August 2015 - 02:20 PM

hi if you go to windows 7 forum i think its on the bottom of the first page  look for windows 10 84% by johnyjohn i had the same problem there is a answer there i have not tried it yet. good luck johnyjohn

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 03:44 PM

Hi, the thread jonnyjohn mentions is here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/585330/windows-10-84/ (moved from Win 7 forum).

I was one who replied as I'm having the exact same issue on one machine, even down to the failure at 84%.  The link at http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-troubleshoot-common-setup-and-stop-errors/324d5a5f-d658-456c-bb82-b1201f735683 is useful as it covers a lot of potential errors and workarounds.

I have now tried to upgrade it using the "Clean boot" method from a USB flash drive holding Windows 10. No luck. This time, installation failed earlier with message:

0xC1900101-0x30018 - The installation failed during FIRST_BOOT phase with error during SYSPREP operation

Ho hum.. Some machines really are going to be a headache I think.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 10:25 PM

Got it installed finally on the PC that was having this problem (an Acer Revo R3700 with Windows 7 x64 Home Premium).  The overall upgrade experience was horrible, and the successful attempt took about 5 hours, and it needed intervention to hard reset the computer after it locked up with a black screen (in the installing drivers phase), but setup resumed after than and it got there in the end.  Massive contrast with my main desktop (a much faster PC) which took about 1/2 an hour, once initial download problem solved.

What I did was:

Installed off a USB flash drive created with Rufus from the Windows 10 ISO.

Set Windows 7 to "clean boot" using msconfig

Ran a disk check and defragmented the HDD

Ran System File Checker - sfc /scannow (got the all clear in this case)

Uninstalled Nvidia display and chipset drivers - allowed it to install default (WDDM?) drivers

Downloaded and ran the relevant version of the System Update Readiness Tool

I allowed it to download updates as part of the install, and did not disconnect from the internet.

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 07 August 2015 - 02:41 PM

What option did you use? GPT, MBR, BIOS, UEFI...?

Some files and Registry entries cannot be fixed automatically by SFC and SURT too. So if any of these scans report an issue, it's better to get assistance from an expert here or on Sysnative.

Uninstalled Nvidia display and chipset drivers - allowed it to install default (WDDM?) drivers

Default drivers are "Microsoft Basic Display Drivers" if I recall correctly. WDDM drivers are Microsoft's drivers for graphic card so not really "default".

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2015 - 07:46 PM

Just explaining what I did on my particular PC with this problem! Take it as read it won't be a solution for all, especially if scans identify issues that cannot be fixed automatically.

What option did you use? GPT, MBR, BIOS, UEFI...?

Some files and Registry entries cannot be fixed automatically by SFC and SURT too. So if any of these scans report an issue, it's better to get assistance from an expert here or on Sysnative.

Default drivers are "Microsoft Basic Display Drivers" if I recall correctly. WDDM drivers are Microsoft's drivers for graphic card so not really "default".

1) "MBR for BIOS or UEFI-CSM" - appropriate for this machine as it does not support UEFI boot.  During the upgrade process, I ran setup from within Windows, and it did not need to boot from the USB drive at any stage, so I'm not sure this matters too much.  It makes a difference if you need to boot from USB to do an install from scratch, presumably.

2) Uninstalling the Nvidia driver package rolls back to Standard VGA drivers.  Upon rebooting I was prompted to reboot again following a hardware detection routine, and a number of "default" drivers for Nvidia ION installed.  I did not pay close attention to what they were, but they were not the Nvidia drivers I had just uninstalled or the standard VGA drivers.  They were accelerated and obviously not a standard VGA driver.

7sbvuf-6.png

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,672 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2015 - 09:26 PM

It does :P The first upgrade cannot be done from a bootable installation media. It needs to be done from within Windows, or you'll be given an error message.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#9 Torvald

Torvald
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 11:31 AM

Hi guys.

Tried to do the upgrade install from Windows 7 to Windows 10 with a clean boot setup (using msconfig), but that did not work.

Also tried unplugging the network cable after Windows 10 downloaded, but that also did not work.

Any other possible suggestions I can try for upgrading this laptop?

#10 DarnQuixote

DarnQuixote

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 11 August 2015 - 02:02 PM

I got the same error message when I initially tried to update.  I then clicked on "try again" and this time after Win 10 showed it had downloaded, I immediately disconnected everything (all USB devices, etc AND the ethernet connection) leaving only my monitor attached and then proceeded with the installation.  It worked and the rest of Win 10 installed smoothly.  Hope this helps...

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,672 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 10:28 AM

I'll give it a shot Torvald. Follow the instructions below please.

EndqYRa.pngSoftwareDistribution - Rename
Follow the instructions below to rename the folders in SoftwareDistribution.
  • On Windows Vista & 7, click on the Windows Start Menu, then enter cmd in the search box, right-click on the cmd icon and select Spcusrh.pngRun as Administrator
  • On Windows 8, drag your cursor in the bottom-left corner, and right-click on the metro menu preview, then select Command Prompt (Admin);
  • On Windows 8.1, right click on the Windows logo in the bottom-left corner and select Command Prompt (Admin);
  • Enter the commands below one at the time (press Enter to send it);
    • net stop wuauserv
    • ren %SystemRoot%\SoftwareDistribution\Download DL.bak
    • net start wuauserv
    • wuauclt.exe /updatenow
This will trigger the Windows 10 upgrade download via Windows Update. If it fails, upload the following files for me to review.

C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log
C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log
C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\Panther\setupact.log
C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\Panther\setuperr.log

unite_blue.png

#12 claudetom

claudetom

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 04:01 AM

Hello,
I see I'm not the only one to be blocked by the error "The system failed C900101-4000D SECOND BOOT stage in the year with MIGRATE DATA error during operation." during installation of the updated Windows 10

Progress is generally 91% for a very long moment, then decided to go back ..

I tried 4 times in different ways
Check Disk C: Windows to restart.
Sfc / scannow.
With MsConfig, disabled services except those of Microsoft + Selective Startup.
Antivirus deleted.
USB and network cable unplugged.

Installation by a Windows10 iso 32 and 64 bit (downloaded MediaCreationTool) I decompiled into a directory on another hard drive.

I do not know what he have to do to finally get to install it without losing data and applications, as it was the case with the update (Vista -> Seven)?

Thank you.

Material info:
original Vista was home, then I passed Windows 7 Ultimate

Manufacturer: HP-Pavilion
Model : KB019AA-ABF m9190.fr
BIOS name : BIOS Date: 10/23/08 21:39:17 Ver: 5.32
BIOS version : 5.32   
BIOS release date : 20081023000000.000000+000
Total memory : 4294967296
Number of physical CPUs : 1
Number of logical CPUs : 4
Processor manufacturer : GenuineIntel
Processor name : Intel® Core™2 Quad  CPU   Q9300  @ 2.50GHz
Processor caption : x64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 7
Processor architecture : x64
Processor clock : 2500

French :

Bonjour,
Je vois que je suis pas le seule à être bloqué par l'erreur "C900101-4000D The installation failed in the SECOND BOOT phase with an error during MIGRATE DATA operation." lors de l'installation de la mise à jour Windows 10

La progression est en général à 91% pendant un très long moment, puis décide de revenir en arrière..

J'ai essayé 4 fois par différentes manières
vérification du disque C: au redémarrage de windows.
Sfc /scannow.
Avec MsConfig, désactivé les services sauf ceux de Microsoft + démarrage sélectif.
Supprimé antivirus.
Débranché USB et câble réseau.

Installation par un iso Windows10 32 et 64 bits (téléchargé avec MediaCreationTool) que j'ai décompilé dans un répertoire sur un autre disque dur.

Je sais pas ce qu'il reste à faire, pour enfin arriver à l'installer, sans rien perdre des données et applications, comme ça été le cas avec la mise à jour (Vista --> Seven) ?

Merci.

#13 Torvald

Torvald
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 03:24 PM

Aura,

I input the commands you suggested, but Windows Update did not trigger on my laptop.

Attached are three four of the four files you requested.  (The Setupact.log file is too large to attach.)

Attached Files

#14 Torvald

Torvald
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 03:27 PM

Aura,

Tried to attach the setupact.log file as a 7zip file, but was unable to do so.

Am now attempting to upload it as a regular zip file.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users