Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

wait to install windows 10

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 spindle

spindle

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 05 August 2015 - 08:26 PM

:killcomp: hi everyone im new to this forum no dought maybe this has been mentioned before but heres a good word of advise for everyone if anyone of you have been to the microsoft forums you should go take a look a lot of people are having big problems and with my personal experiance with new operating systems or upgrade as this is, simply don't rush into it if you don't have to, if seven and 8.1 are working good for you hold on to it simple chore there guys i might even wait untill the first service pac comes out or whatever remember ms give us a year and no dought a lot more fixes are going to come out in the next few months or so, so my advise again -WAIT-BE PATIENT.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 05 August 2015 - 08:42 PM

Of course it's hard for me to understand how/why the upgrade would not work because I'm one of the few people whose upgrade went smoothly. It only requires one thing during the upgrade: patience and nothing else.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#3 Norseman143

Norseman143

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2015 - 08:47 PM

Not just you gig

Mine loaded and is performing great

Not crazy about all the privacy issues though

#4 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2015 - 08:49 PM

I know, Microsoft is just trying to make more money through advertising to people by using their personal info...

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#5 jargos

jargos

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 05 August 2015 - 08:54 PM

I know, Microsoft is just trying to make more money through advertising to people by using their personal info...

.. and imagine in the old days, if the postal department opened your letters and got info from them for the same purpose :-)

Edited by jargos, 05 August 2015 - 08:55 PM.

Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon on older, Pentium 4 desktop.

Win 7 on Medion Akoya i3 laptop

#6 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2015 - 08:59 PM

Then it would be even more of a controversy... :P

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,246 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2015 - 09:34 PM

.. and imagine in the old days, if the postal department opened your letters and got info from them for the same purpose :-)

And provided they put it in the TOS or EULA it would be fine.

EG.

By sending your mail with Australia post you hereby agree to us opening and reading your mail, And using information to target advertising at you.

Slightly off topic but related.

I just got a letter from my bank saying they updated the Terms of service, The new terms of service come into effect on August 25 2015, Please go to www.nickaubank.com to read them. By using your credit card after the 25 August 2015, you here by agree to the terms and conditions.

Did I go read the terms and conditions? No. Now who's fault is it if sometime in the future I find something I do not agree with? NOT the banks its My FAULT.

If you don't like the EULA to Windows click the NO I do not agree button.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#8 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2015 - 09:46 PM

Has anyone ever clicked the terms down the bottom of the main Google search page?... :whistle:

When you upload, submit, store, send or receive content to or through our Services, you give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content.

So just by using Google they own everything you do.

And suddenly everyone is upset at MS? :lmao:

#9 rozzer

rozzer

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 06 August 2015 - 01:18 AM

But what it has done is opened people eyes to exactly what has been and still is happening with MS

and now all other entities are being reviewed, it has opened the proverbial 'can of worms' and not

before time

#10 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 08:07 AM

@TsVk! there is a big difference between Google taking PUBLIC TRAFFIC and using it to make personal ads, versus MSFT LOOKING INTO YOUR OWN PERSONAL COMPUTER DAILY and recording EVERYTHING you do.

I can choose not to use Google.  I can also choose not to use MSFT.  In the latter case, however, it's a bigger loss if I'm a business which has years of back MSFT stuff.  So now, my choices are:

1.  Stay on the OLDER MSFT stuff until death;

2.  Use Linux to surf so my underlying Windows stuff is firewalled from view;  especially important, when the OS is outdated.  Or use Linux, period.

3.  Keep my older machines in great condition, buy only older ones pre Win10, then keep them barely used, so to keep doing 1 and 2 above.

I'm actually doing all three, started that back when I first learned about Win7-8, four years ago.  So I can't be the only one doing it, as PC sales tanked.  So note how these choices mean

• PC sales will continue to tank,
  • whatever MSFT hopes to sell will tank, and
  • Google will tank because it needs MSFT. 
  • That is, if enough of us don't want that EULA. 
  • And increasingly, more and more of us do not want it. 
  • Still the 20-somethings trust MSFT,
  • but we oldsters have the money, have been down this road with MSFT, one time too many. 
  • So look: the markets will dry up.
  • Now for Win10 'free', MSFT decided to FORCE it as an inplace upgrade, which destroys your old working OS and license in one fell swoop: else, you can't get it at all.
  • So now, millions of users will decide 'never again' trust MSFT.  This is OP spindle's impetus, even if he mightn't grasp why the beaucoups des problemes occur.  Those of us around Windows from inception, know it's due to inplace upgrades, nearly always borking.
  • Because from the beginning, the only stable way to 'upgrade' Windows by design, to facilitate new machine sales and retail sales of the OS  -- the only stable way to upgrade, was to do a clean install.  That is still true.  Cleverly, the 'free' offer of Win10 is designed to frustrate you so much, and cause you to lose your old system at the same time, for windows.old will get overwritten as soon as the next Win10 update a week later (i.e., today) -- that you go out and BUY the new Win10 with its far worse EULA, etc.
  • So now millions of people are living with borked 'upgrades' and are disillusioned with MSFT. 
  • The few who had almost nothing on their machines but newer MSFT stuff, could upgrade in place (inplace upgrade installer is designed to reward you for being on newer MSFT stuff).
  • So the few become fewer, each time.  Now, with forced updates, that shrinkage will be annual.

FWIW, in the weekly Feedback to Insiders query I was bidden to say, a shorter version of the above.  For the Feeback query this week was, 'would you recommend this OS?'  I replied ticking off the radio button which said, 'not at all', and was asked to explain why.  Above is the why, with more elab.

In a quarterly report MSFT recently gave, even MS Office sales were down 40%.  You know why?  Because most of the installed base, is on the older stuff;  in fact, most of us hate that ribbon so much, we stay on MS Office 2003 and prior.  Which, operates in Win10 and prior (trick is to install it after the OS is installed).  So we won't go with horrid 2007 et seq., as none of the later features (excepting some in Excel) are any better;  in fact, many of the good features were removed (esp. customizability of interface).

Edited by brainout, 06 August 2015 - 09:14 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#11 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 06 August 2015 - 09:33 AM

I will wait for awhile mostly until the fixes are done and the intrusive items are found and tramped down a bit.  I am 75 years old and have -0- to hide but the feeling of being pried into bothers the heck out of me. 

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#12 Plumber

Plumber

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 06 August 2015 - 09:56 AM

Got to agree with you OldPhil,I'm 68 and at about my age I'm not in a rush to do anything.One thing I do not understand is why everyone is jumping on 10 already.It seems like you have a small % that have upgraded with success and the rest have nothing but troubles.I didn't make this up either,just read the posts.If it's really a free upgrade for a year then I have all the time in the world.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users