Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell XPS L501X sudden shutdowns, without overheating

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 akjunke

akjunke

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 05 August 2015 - 07:51 PM

Hello,

This is a bit of an odd issue:  My Dell Xps L501x (Win 7, 8GB RAM, recently installed Samsung Evo SSD) will occasionally shutdown for no discernable reason.  It happens about once a week, and the laptop restarts without any problems. 

I use open hardware monitor, which usually shows the CPU at 50-60 degrees when this happens, and the machine itself is never particularly hot to the touch.  The only anomaly is that the fan is constantly running at a high speed just before this happens.  This has been happening for at least a year. 

I'm wondering if this might be an issue with the temperature sensors - could they be falsely reading the CPU temp as high, thus running the fan and eventually shutting down the PC?  I'm just concerned that this could lead to further problems, as I don't have access to another computer at the moment. 

Has anyone encountered this before?

Thanks. 

Edited by akjunke, 05 August 2015 - 07:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users