Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Problem with a New Dell Laptop 5558-2571 Win 8.1

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 edge10

edge10

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 05 August 2015 - 05:07 PM

I am having a boot problem that seems to have occurred right after I removed devices from the usb ports . The usb ports work fine now however.  After I rebooted the system it requested repair or restore disks.  I tried the self repair twice and rebooted twice each time and windows loaded. I would like to go into the repair/recovery and diagnose and fix the problem.  I have made copy of the factory recovery media on a dvd using the Dell software, but after reading some win 8.1 docs that a usb drive is needed as a boot drive in case you can't boot to windows.  Is this correct?

This pc also requires update to the application, bios and non critical windows updates as shown below. is there any I order I should do the updates?

Thanks

Application  |

Audio  |

Backup and Recovery  |

BIOS  |

Chipset  |

CPU  |

Mouse, Keyboard & Input Devices  |

Network  |

Serial ATA  |

Video

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2015 - 06:44 PM

Are there any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager? If not, you do not need to update any drivers.

#3 edge10

edge10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2015 - 07:58 PM

No exclamations in device manager. 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2015 - 08:22 PM

If the computer is running fine and there are no yellow exclamtion marks in Device Manager then you do not need to download any drivers. 

#5 edge10

edge10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2015 - 09:06 PM

There is a boot problem.  This would be what I would want to solve now if the drivers are not a problem.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2015 - 09:16 PM

Can you further detail the boot problem? Is this a BSOD problem?

#7 edge10

edge10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2015 - 09:31 PM

No BSOD.  I powered down the system for the day and upon power up the next day a message said " windows did not load, insert recovery disk or allow system to repair".  I clicked  the system repair and a message " system could not repair power off/on and insert recovery disc" .  When I powered up the system was able to boot.  This happened twice.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2015 - 09:40 PM

You may want to PM a moderator and ask for this thread to be moved to the Windows Crashes, BSOD, and Hangs Help and Support Forum. There are kernel experts there and you have a better chance of getting your problem resolved.

#9 edge10

edge10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2015 - 09:51 PM

OK, thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users