Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

error message at shutdown and hang

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Tilkon

Tilkon

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 05 August 2015 - 05:07 PM

Hello,

since few days when the PC shuts down I receive the following message:

"Windows was unable to save all the data for the file D:\System Volume\001.dat. The data has been lost .This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere.''

Then the PC hangs and I can switch it off only pushing the power button and keeping it pushed for some seconds.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 05 August 2015 - 06:45 PM

What is on drive d:?

Is it a recovery drive?

If it is a recovery drive, turn System Restore OFF and delete all System Restore points - http://www.sysnative.com/forums/windows-8-windows-rt-tutorials/10752-windows-system-restore-configure-restore-point-space-windows-10-8-1-8-7-vista.html

\System Volume Information folder is used for System Restore

Your post cited simply D:\System Volume\ folder -- "Information" is missing from the end, so it may be something different.

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 05:00 AM

Please start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Start with the hard drive tests, then with the memory test.

If unable to boot to a disk (usually the case with WIn8 and higher), then run the Seagate Seatools for Windows test on ALL hard drives

And run Prime95's Blend test to test the RAM (similar to Memtest, but not exactly the same).

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Tilkon

Tilkon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2015 - 06:18 AM

D: is one of my hd. I notices sometimes it disappear from the hd list, and this is when the problem occurs.

I tried to re-plug it in its slots and now no problem. Do you think it was just an hardware connection problem, or D: could be running to the end of its life? In the event log I found error 50, 51 and 57, all related to problems with D:

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2015 - 08:56 AM

Connection problems are more common than hard drive problems - but that's not a certain diagnosis.

Run the free diagnostics to see if there's any problem.

If the diagnostics don't find anything, then we'll start looking at the event log (if the problems continue).

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Tilkon

Tilkon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 03:13 AM

I think it was an hardware connection problem. Since I strongly plugged the cable of the hd, no more problems.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2015 - 04:48 AM

Great to hear!  Thanks for letting us know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users