Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to uninstall Chrome

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 confoosedguy

confoosedguy

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 05 August 2015 - 04:39 PM

Hello, I am trying to uninstall Google Chrome.  I just installed it yesterday but it appears there's some kind of persistent virus left over from a while ago.  

There have been other strange symptoms of Chrome still being on the system.  For example, after a factory restore yesterday:  in my Opera browser there was actually an error message related to CHROME right where the little person icon is in the upper right of the Opera browser where the Opera account (bookmarks, etc) are managed. 

So right now I'm in Control Panel, clicking on Chrome   "Please close all Chrome Windows and try again."  But all Chrome windows are closed.

What causes this?

Any help is MUCH appreciated.  Hope everyone is doing well today.

Edited by hamluis, 09 August 2015 - 08:52 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2015 - 04:40 PM

Try deleting all Chrome processes from Task Manager and try again. If that doesn't help, try using Revo Uninstaller. :)

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#3 Dualcomm

Dualcomm

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 05 August 2015 - 04:57 PM

Go to Program Files through the c drive, delete any chrome folder/files you see

#4 confoosedguy

confoosedguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2015 - 05:10 PM

Yes thank you, I rebooted and used Revo which I've used in the past, and it did uninstall to the extent where Chrome is no longer listed as an installed program, which Revo has done in the past as well.  However, just now during th "uninstall" Internet Explorer launched in the background behind Revo.  I closed it fairly quickly.

Yes thank you I will also look for C Drive/Chrome folders.

So it seems there some sort of virus with a script that is effecting both Opera and Internet Explorer.

Any ideas?

I wouldn't be opposed to uninstalling Internet Explorer, except the directions I had from someone on here recently pointed me to delete it from the "View Installed Updates" section of Control Panel.  I thought it might have taken it off the system, but never really thought it was totally off.  Then sure enough it appeared.

My machine is about 5 years old but otherwise still runs great.  I'd be open to getting a copy of Windows 7 to do a clean install if anyone knows a VERY cheap way to get one with an unused product code, or through some sort of donation based program?  

Edited by confoosedguy, 05 August 2015 - 05:47 PM.

#5 confoosedguy

confoosedguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2015 - 06:02 PM

Update: I went into IE and reset all settings to original settings.  This is IE 8 that came with my machine.  There are 4 areas it resets:  Resetting User Customizations, Disabling Browser Addons, Deleting Personal Settings, Applying Default Settings.  The first three worked but the last of the four failed.

In the Help Menu in WIndows it says:  

• If any of the categories fail to reset, it is because Internet Explorer could not access a file or registry setting. This can be caused by insufficient security privileges, files or settings being used by another program, or low memory or high CPU usage. You can either continue to use Internet Explorer without restoring these settings, or restart your computer and try to reset again.

What is your professional opinion?

Edited by confoosedguy, 05 August 2015 - 06:06 PM.

#6 confoosedguy

confoosedguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2015 - 07:32 PM

Could a High-Level Expert please respond on this tricky issue when you have a moment.  This thing whatever it is, is going across multiple browsers.  If I recall I was seeing something a while back related to this that was related to corrupt browser extensions.  Is that possible, it's been a while but this pops into my mind.  I just upgraded to IE 11 and am changing all the browser settings to highest security level blocking everything since I dont even want to use IE.   While I appreciate all helpful intention, I would like to ask that no one else respond please unless you're at a level of seasoned expert and familiar with this kind of issue, this courtesy would be appreciated.  (This is not implying anything about the posts already above in this thread.)

Edited by confoosedguy, 05 August 2015 - 07:34 PM.

#7 confoosedguy

confoosedguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2015 - 09:11 PM

Update:  So I adjusted all of the Internet Explorer 11 settings to the highest degree as mentioned.  Then a half hour later I click on the TdssKiller executable file in my Downloads folder that was downloaded through my Opera browser.  I get an error message saying "Your internet security settings prevented one or more files from being opened."

Is this possibly actually normal since IE is part of the Windows Operating System?  Or is it pointing to a virus?

#8 malynensi

malynensi

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 05 August 2015 - 09:47 PM

Make sure to delete all Program Files from the Chrome folder. If it doesn't work then maybe reformating it may work.

#9 confoosedguy

confoosedguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2015 - 10:05 PM

WOW, I did a search for keyword "Chrome" and even though Chrome was uninstalled, look at all this stuff (in the attached screenshot).  How do I delete these?

Edited by confoosedguy, 05 August 2015 - 10:29 PM.

#10 confoosedguy

confoosedguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2015 - 10:51 PM

DOUBLE WOW, why is desktop activity logged in the History section of Chrome?  WTF!  Please see attached (additional) screenshot, unless I'm able to paste it in here somehow.

Edited by confoosedguy, 05 August 2015 - 10:53 PM.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 06 August 2015 - 09:18 AM

Revo Uninstaller was mentioned already.

Louis

#12 confoosedguy

confoosedguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 09:48 AM

Yes thank you but it as far as I can tell it didn't resolve getting rid of Chrome related stuff that are still actively effecting the other browsers.  Did you peruse the attachments I provided?   

#13 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 06 August 2015 - 10:26 AM

Can you please give us an update on your situation? What are the exact error messages remaining? What was the error related to Chrome inside Opera? By the way, there are no attachments in your posts.

Edited by Phantom010, 06 August 2015 - 10:28 AM.

#14 malynensi

malynensi

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 06 August 2015 - 10:45 AM

No attachments is seen on your posts. Kindly check it though. Can't you just normally delete those? I'm using vpn and it doesn't behave like that. I'm having no problem at all.

#15 confoosedguy

confoosedguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 04:18 PM

In two previous posts I clicked Use Full Editor and selected the documents but I see now it didn't work.  Thank you for pointing out the confusion.

I am trying again here to attach the two documents.

Attached File  chrome leftover.doc   193.5KB   7 downloads

Attached File  additional - chrome history logging desktop activity.doc   116.5KB   9 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users