Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive no longer working after running Combofix

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Otterjones

Otterjones

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 05 August 2015 - 01:31 PM

I have a XP Dell Desktop that was severally infected. I was able to get the PC into Safe Mode. I then ran ComboFix. Now the PC won't boot. I tried taking the hard drive out and connecting it to two different PCs, but the PCs can't detect the hard drive. I've opened Disk Management and MiniTool Partition Wizard to try and see the disk. Very important data is on this drive and can't be lost. 

Does anyone have any ideas on how to recover the data at this point?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Firehouse

Firehouse

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 05 August 2015 - 01:57 PM

ComboFix should be used only if advised to do do by trained professional because it may cause serious damage. This tool is not a toy and sUBs is not responsible for any improper use of tool.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 05 August 2015 - 04:11 PM

:welcome: to Bleeping Computer Otterjones

Sorry to hear about your issue but this is one of the reasons why we recommend not to use ComboFix on your own (see here). There are risks involved and we would prefer it if someone (a trained expert) who knows how to resolve any issues that may arise when running the tool, is supervising it's use.

As a general policy, Bleeping Computer does not offer advice on how to run ComboFix unless we asked someone to run it or if there is a problem with the computer caused by running the tool. When issues arise due to complex malware infections, problems running ComboFix or with other security tools causing conflicts, experts are usually aware of them and can advise what should or should not be done while providing individual assistance. Those attempting to use ComboFix on their own do not have such information and are at risk when running the tool in an unsupervised environment.

With that said, if your computer is unbootable, we have experts who can assist with such issues using more powerful tools than are permitted in this forum. Please start a new topic, give it a relevant title, and post it in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team.

Provide a brief description of your problem, your operating system, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own.

After doing this, please reply back in this thread with a link to the new topic so we can close this one.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users