Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook 2013 crashes after sending 3 emails.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BeckoningChasm

BeckoningChasm

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 05 August 2015 - 10:01 AM

Greetings, folks.  One of our clients has a PC that will only allow the user to send 3 emails before it locks up.  "Outlook.exe" is still running in task manager and cannot be killed.  The PC has to be shut down hard (holding the power button in) as it hangs during a soft restart.

The PC is a Lenovo E540 running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.  Office is Office 2013 Home and Business with Outlook attached to an Office 365 account.  All software up to date.

If we start Outlook in Safe mode (just Outlook, not Windows) then everything works fine.  I can send dozens of test emails with no problems at all.

So here's what I've done.

Disabled Hardware Acceleration, including adding an entry in the Registry (HKCU/Software/Microsoft/Office/15/Graphics/DisableHardwareAcceleration=1)  Effect: no change.

Disabled all add-ins.  Effect: no change.

Uninstalled the antivirus client (Trend Micro).  Effect: no change.

Desktop Session Manager service disabled.  Effect: this caused a number of problems--I couldn't even get into Outlook--so I re-enabled it.

I removed some components from a previous version of Office (2010) but since that is only Visio, I didn't remove everything.  Effect: no change.

Office repair (both quick and web-based) from Control Panel.  (Pro tip:  the web-based one is basically a re-install, so have your code ready.)  Effect: no change.

The user's mailbox file is located on a network drive, but since everyone's is, I don't think this is the source of the problem.  It's also not a large file.

If I create a new profile, things will work fine for a few weeks but the problem will reappear.

I am open (and grateful) for any and all suggestions, but do note the steps I've already taken.  I'd prefer not to rebuild the entire system from the ground up, since that doesn't tell me what was wrong to start with.

From searching on the web, this is a common problem and no one seems to have a solid solution (at least, none of the things I've tried have worked).

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 CallThatGirl

CallThatGirl

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 02:01 PM

I hate to say this, but these types of jobs are my favorites, the tough ones.

Thoughts...

How large the OST file? Did you try keeping it local and not on the server? Can you check for graphics card updates? Can you turn off the cache for testing?

I would go to the disabled items and see what is going on there. I have found enabling some items fixes issues (like appledev! fixes icloud)

Finally, check his "large attachments" and make sure one big fattie didn't sneak in. Sometimes I have seen large ones cause the issues.

Is that his only email account in that profile?

I have had some struggles with Outlook and graphics cards, even with the disabled hardware accelerator. I think the Nvidia update was one my tech had to do to make one clients work ok.

#3 BeckoningChasm

BeckoningChasm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 10:39 AM

It may be too early to tell, but the guy just sent me an email saying that a Microsoft update may have fixed the issue.  I hope so, but I also hope the "fix" doesn't create a different type of problem....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users