Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Kensington Trackball intermittently failing on buttons

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 hogesinwa

hogesinwa

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Location:Crossed the Atlantic, via Havana. Now in Tampa Bay area for a while.
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 05 August 2015 - 08:36 AM

I have two trackballs, one for each laptop.  3 days ago, both trackballs stopped working on right-click and occasionally on left click.  Scrolling and pointing still normal.

I couldn't find any fix in Control Panel (Windows 8.1) and d/l'd an item called Trackball Works (one word) from Kensington's site.  Not an exact fit for what I have but close.

If I manage to run that, the trackball starts to work again for a while, but then again stops working on clicks.  When I go to Trackball Works, there is a setup option to tell the mouse what buttons are for what.  Right Click is shown to be available but no amount of clicking on it brings it from "active" to "selected" i.e. it doesn't show as being activated by greying out, as the left button is.  I hit "Apply" and "Close" and then it works for a while but then stops again.

Both Trackballs are refusing to work, but a Logitech normal mouse is functioning just fine - left click, right click, scroll.

I did see once in my frustrated scrolling and clicking the message that Trackball Works hadn't fully installed because it detected I was on a metered system.  Big deal - I should be allowed to decide whether to go ahead or not.  Rant rant rant.

Anyway, this not-fully-installed thing hasn't appeared at all since and I don't know why it even appeared - the Works button is definitely there and it is a .exe so it's not an information file, just an instruction file.

I like the Trackballs - I live on my yacht and space is limited so a roller ball mouse fits in fine.  I'd like to get them both running again but there is precious little on the Kensington site to point me to a fix.

Does anyone have any insights they could share?  Thanks.

Terry

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 13 August 2015 - 09:20 PM

Wired or wireless? A battery problem if wireless?

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 hogesinwa

hogesinwa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 12:23 AM

Not wireless, both USB cables.  Logitech mouse still working fine, both buttons.  It must be a Windows 8 conflict - started happening after the last major Windows update I think but because I wasn't paying attention at the time I can't be sure if it was exactly at that time, I only suspect it was.

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 14 August 2015 - 12:32 PM

OS upgrade may require a driver update.

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#5 hogesinwa

hogesinwa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2015 - 01:59 AM

Yes, thought of that first.  Went to their site and d/l their "TrackballWorks" program.  Didn't function.  D/l it again, after uninstalling previous version.  Made no difference, again didn't do anything.  Tried both trackballs on the other laptop we have running Windows 7, neither of them work on that either.

Have tried to contact Kensington but as usual in this day and age they make it difficult to get to a human being.  I bought these about 4 years ago in Frys in Las Vegas, NV so I've had my money's worth out of one (for my latpop).  I'm mostly disappointed because I have limited desk space on my boat and they are ideal for this, where a normal mouse is not ideal.

I'll wait and see if Kensington's Customer Care responds, or passes my info request onto Tech Support.  If yes, well and good.  If no, I'll be looking for replacements but not theirs.

Thanks for the input.

Terry

#6 qapdoede

qapdoede

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 18 August 2015 - 07:47 AM

yes, well and good.  If no, I'll be looking for replacements but not theirs

Edited by qapdoede, 18 August 2015 - 07:48 AM.

#7 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,851 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 18 August 2015 - 07:04 PM

Replacement may be hard to find, I liked the one with the big blue marble.  The micro-switches failed and acted intermittent for a long time.  Sometimes even got stuck.  I have since managed with the cheapest  USB optical mouse I could find.  A GE one for $8.00.  I can replace 6 of them for one trackball.  and they fail the same way, intermittent buttons. 

#8 hogesinwa

hogesinwa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2015 - 09:48 PM

Yes, mine have the big blue marble.  Perhaps it is switches though I am puzzled why both at the same time.  I think your replacement logic is good - I will investigate an optical replacement.

#9 hogesinwa

hogesinwa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 10:35 AM

UPDATE ONLY

I contacted Kensington "customer care"  (that's a joke, naturally) to get suggestions.  Even a "4 years is pretty good for the unit in a marine environment" would have been a good response.

However, they chose to ignore me so I will not be using Kensington for anything in future.

Why do these people have Customer Care sections when Customer Care is the furthest from their minds?  Going down the HP path, I suppose.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users