Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

help with external hard drives

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 oldandretired

oldandretired

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 05 August 2015 - 08:18 AM

i live in florida and we get storms that knock out the power. i had windows damaged an had to reformat,now windows will not reconize my external hard drives. plug and play will not reconnize them. i was going to upgrade to windows 10 but wanted to solve this problem first. they were turned off when the storm hit and was off when i reformated. they work on my other computers but not this one. any idea what i can do?all my backups for this computer is on them.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LFos42

LFos42

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 08 August 2015 - 03:09 PM

I'm wondering since the drives work on other computers but not the one that's having issues that maybe you have a hardware issue from a power surge during the storm.  Not on the drives, but on the ports in the computer you are using to try to read them from. Are they USB interface I'm guessing? You could try a different port, but if the ports are bad, you might need to plug them in internally to transfer data from them.  Does the computer find the drives when you plug them (out of the external drive enclosure) into the internal wiring harness of the computer?  It could be the USB controller physically, or it could be the USB controller software/drivers.  If it's software, you can solve it.  If it's hardware, you might want to install a PCI card that has a USB controller and ports so you can plug them back in and use USB devices... this is all short of replacing the motherboard, of course.

#3 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 10 August 2015 - 09:29 AM

If important information is stored on this computer, you may want an uninterruptable power supply (ups). This will allow you to shut down the computer properly without corruption.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users