Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

From Betas to Better Browsing!!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 10:26 PM

Yep, going to talk about a good thing.  I am scolded for not saying a lot of negatives; seems some think it's cus I have my head in the sand or a blaze attitude or some mad love for or tie to MS... none of which is true.

Some people have no idea how much I reported found, struggled w/, was irritated by or 'yelled' repeatedly @ various sources @ MS in various ways during the betas.  Twas LOTS!!

Well, here's one maybe, they heard me, HA HA.

This all ties together...

There was a time Links would only work relative to IE.
W/ the GA they work w/ Edge :thumbup2: 
There was a time, IE or Edge when new requests, like from Links, did not necessarily Open (add a Tab) from & in the Desktop currently being viewed or used.
W/ the GA it is dedicated :thumbup2:

Especially, but, not exclusively, w/ Multiple Desktop employed, this makes browsing better than the betas.  This, now, makes logical, sense.  Really glad to see it as it was very much needed & needing to be 'fixed'. And even w/ just 1 Desktop, not having Links talking to Edge was the epitome of silly; especially w/ Edge as default.

Edited by hamluis, 06 August 2015 - 12:13 PM.
Moved from Win 10 to Gen Chat - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drew1903

Drew1903
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2015 - 09:56 PM

Bump

Because this functionality & (BIG) improvement is very cool, long overdue & makes things go so much better.  Ergo, it is worth taking notice.  (JMHO, of course)

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 06 August 2015 - 06:41 AM

I fail to see the point of this "topic" in the Win 10 forum.  Can you enlighten us?

IMO, this sort of thing belongs in Gen Chat.

Louis

#4 Drew1903

Drew1903
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 12:45 PM

Well because it specifically and exclusively relates to Windows 10 and its progression through the betas to its much improved condition now.

No it absolutely certainly does not belong in general 'chat' or it would not be where it properly belongs in the first place

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 06 August 2015 - 07:12 PM

<snip>

There was a time, IE or Edge when new requests, like from Links, did not necessarily Open (add a Tab) from & in the Desktop currently being viewed or used.
Especially, but, not exclusively, w/ Multiple Desktop employed, this makes browsing better than the betas.  This, now, makes logical, sense.  Really glad to see it as it was very much needed & needing to be 'fixed'. And even w/ just 1 Desktop, not having Links talking to Edge was the epitome of silly; especially w/ Edge as default.

Unfortunately, no it does not tie anything together, for me. You're making an assumption for me that cannot be made.

None of the quoted content means anything to me. It's full of acronyms I don't use or comprehend at this time. As I know NOTHING about Windows 10 or care to at this point. I'll wait till the firestorms surrounding the OS release, die down. Most likely after the holidays to consider even reviewing the OS. Then maybe I'll take the time to learn all the new terminology you just threw out.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 Drew1903

Drew1903
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 09:24 PM

<snip>

Unfortunately, no it does not tie anything together, for me. You're making an assumption for me that cannot be made.

None of the quoted content means anything to me. It's full of acronyms I don't use or comprehend at this time. As I know NOTHING about Windows 10 or care to at this point. I'll wait till the firestorms surrounding the OS release, die down. Most likely after the holidays to consider even reviewing the OS. Then maybe I'll take the time to learn all the new terminology you just threw out.

Links is the Toolbar' that can be enabled on the Taskbar to access Favorites Bar sites

IE is Internet Explorer browser.

Microsoft Edge is the new browser that comes with Windows 10.

GA is General Availability, the term for the final non-beta release of an Operating System

I trust the above helps. Don't wait too long to grab Windows 10... It is terrific!

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 06 August 2015 - 10:12 PM

Thank you for the clarification of the newer terms and acronyms as they apply to Windows 10.

"Links is the Toolbar' that can be enabled on the Taskbar to access Favorites Bar sites" Sounds extremely redundant, and non intuitive. Why go one place to get to another? Carry over methodology of Windows 8.1 and "you can't there from here" syndrome? You have to go elsewhere to get where you need to be. Logic does not apply here?

"Don't wait too long to grab Windows 10... It is terrific!" Of the 20-25 friends, co-workers and acquaintances I've spoken to, regarding their satisfaction with Windows 10. All of them being proficient to advanced users, the overwhelming majority are underwhelmed or dissatisfied with the experience. Thank you for your opinion, but I'll stick with my skeptical wait and see attitude. I'm not one of those who needs the newest shiniest do-dad and hanging out on the bleeding edge of technology types. I prefer to be later to the party so I have a lot of resources who can tell me what pitfalls to avoid.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#8 Drew1903

Drew1903
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 11:28 PM

Cynicism not withstanding it is not a matter of redundancy. It makes for a larger viewing area in the browser due to being able to go without the Favorites Bar showing. Means one can work from and do everything from the Taskbar and means can open a preferred site from there without even having to have a browser open first.

This IT Tech/ Consultant and many others may not align with what you are being told. Win10 is the future and smart.  Conversely, all my IT colleagues & acquaintances have had no problems w/ the Upgrade & think the Win10 Platform is brilliant.  Interesting.

Edited by Drew1903, 07 August 2015 - 12:24 AM.

#9 Drew1903

Drew1903
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2015 - 12:41 AM

I fail to see the point of this "topic" in the Win 10 forum.  Can you enlighten us?

IMO, this sort of thing belongs in Gen Chat.

Louis

This should not have been moved!!  It does not belong here.  It was in the correct location initially!  Not appreciated, @ all!!  Thinking it should be moved & moving it were both wrong.  Due to the subject matter it was in its right & proper, appropriate place;  not cool to have it moved from there.

Edited by Drew1903, 07 August 2015 - 12:43 AM.

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 08 August 2015 - 02:46 PM

Cynicism not withstanding it is not a matter of redundancy. It makes for a larger viewing area in the browser due to being able to go without the Favorites Bar showing.

In IE, the favorites bar is redundant.
Want more viewing area? Don't use the Favorites bar. It can be hidden.

Use the star to the right of the address bar to access favorites OR if the Menu bar is enabled to show click the word Favorites on it.

#11 Drew1903

Drew1903
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 03:41 PM

Also...

One can not show the Favorites Bar whilst having the Links Toolbar enabled on the Taskbar. Links lists the sites in Favorites Bar; can access right from there even, without a browser window open first.

Thus have the best of two things :)

#12 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 08 August 2015 - 03:58 PM

One can not show the Favorites Bar whilst having the Links Toolbar enabled on the Taskbar.

Are you saying it is one or the other? Links on the toolbar will not work if the Favorites bar is enabled to show?

#13 Drew1903

Drew1903
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 10:38 PM

One can not show the Favorites Bar whilst having the Links Toolbar enabled on the Taskbar.

Are you saying it is one or the other? Links on the toolbar will not work if the Favorites bar is enabled to show?

Ummm, I'm going to say no I didn't say that.  Not, actually sure if I follow that but, going to say, no.

I will try it worded differently. :)

One can add sites to the Favorites Bar (not Favorites, Favorites Bar)
Have Links (Toolbar) on the Taskbar. It lists the Favorites Bar sites.
Ergo, even w/ the Favorites Bar not showing, can access its (same) content right from the Taskbar via Links.  Hit a 2nd site there & it tabs it.  Chose a site from there even w/out, already, having the browser open 1st.

I trust that ^ says it better.  I wheeely do

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users