Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Duplicate File Removal

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
31 replies to this topic

#1 sceadugenga

sceadugenga

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 10:11 PM

I have a large number of duplicate files... think tens of thousands.

I need a free program to hunt them down and remove them,

Not: http://www.duplicatecleaner.com/

Or: CCleaner

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 05 August 2015 - 08:29 AM

I use Duplicate File Finder. It works well and unlike some others I tried it actually shows you the photos instead of just the names. Granted one can click on the file name to see the photo but I like seeing side by side.

You enable Preview and when highlighting an entry the duplicates will be pictured.

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 05 August 2015 - 10:22 AM

Be very, very careful when you use software like these. Most of them will delete files that you need to repair a program or even Windows System Files. So if you use it, make sure that the files you delete are all within folders you control and you know (Documents, Pictures, Movies, Desktop, etc.) and not in Program Files, ProgramData, Windows, AppData, etc. otherwise you can easily break your system that way.

Personally I wouldn't use them.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2015 - 02:45 PM

My edit time has expired, sorry for the double post. I Googled "duplicate file finder" and ended up on LifeHacker's article about dupeGuru which they recommend. Installed it on a fresh Windows 7 SP1 x64 VM and scanned my whole drive, here's the result:

Article: http://lifehacker.com/the-best-duplicate-file-finder-for-windows-1696492476
bxaVy14.png

I can guarantee you that if I delete all these detections I'll have to clean install Windows. Hence why you must be careful when using such software.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 sceadugenga

sceadugenga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2015 - 10:05 PM

Thanks for the info, I certainly use this type of software in separate folders and never let it near my main drive.

I couldn't work out Duplicate File Finder but found DupeGuru simple and easy to use.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 05:15 AM

As long as you're sure to not delete any files that belongs to programs or Windows, then it should be fine.

unite_blue.png

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 06 August 2015 - 07:24 AM

I only use Duplicate File Finder for my pictures.
Good program for finding those duplicates.

#8 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 10 August 2015 - 08:02 PM

My edit time has expired, sorry for the double post. I Googled "duplicate file finder" and ended up on LifeHacker's article about dupeGuru which they recommend. Installed it on a fresh Windows 7 SP1 x64 VM and scanned my whole drive, here's the result:

Article: http://lifehacker.com/the-best-duplicate-file-finder-for-windows-1696492476
bxaVy14.png

I can guarantee you that if I delete all these detections I'll have to clean install Windows. Hence why you must be careful when using such software.

I had to clean up my Dad's computer which had thousands of duplicates, so I used that program.  I found it pretty good.  It's best used in specific folders where you have an idea of where duplicates are likely to be (Downloads, Pictures, Documents for example).  It's not likely to be appropriate to just scan the "C" drive!

The directory compare function is useful also (it was in his case anyway) as he had two "Documents" folders with many duplicates due to an attempt to move it to another drive in the past which somehow went wrong.  So yes, take care, but they can be useful.

Edited by jonuk76, 10 August 2015 - 08:03 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 08:03 PM

I would use Winmerge for issues where you think you have two folders or files with the same content.

http://winmerge.org/?lang=en

unite_blue.png

#10 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 10 August 2015 - 08:16 PM

I'll have a look thanks :)  Looks quite technical.

7sbvuf-6.png

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 08:17 PM

Our developpers use it at work, and I used it a few times in the past after big copy/paste jobs failed and I wanted to know what files I was missing :)

unite_blue.png

#12 sceadugenga

sceadugenga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 08:32 PM

Thanks for your continued support, I'll check them out.

Edited by sceadugenga, 10 August 2015 - 08:32 PM.

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 08:33 PM

No problem, you're welcome :)

unite_blue.png

#14 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,527 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2015 - 10:20 AM

QueenEvie, did youse all say to drop DuplicateCleaner? If so, I sure will do so! Where is best place to get Duplicate File Finder? Google gave me several DFF, which is the one you all recommend?

Edited by RolandJS, 08 October 2015 - 10:36 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#15 hro2009

hro2009

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2015 - 07:23 AM

i also need to find out how to remove dublicated files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users