Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Did I Destroy My Motherboard?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Nkirk126

Nkirk126

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 08:58 PM

I was going to replace my internal fan and when I went to disconnect thr cable I tore the connection on the motherboard out with it. There are pins on the left and right side of the connector that I believe stayed in tact but there are smaller pins on the front which have separated from the motherboard and a small piece of the blue film (the actual motherboard) looks to be peeling where one of them was yanked away. http://m.imgur.com/AxLFAYf,4MxxEYn,da3dnWO
How bad did I wreck my motherboard? Or will someone skilled with a micro solder be able to save it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nkirk126

Nkirk126
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 09:05 PM

The connection just lifted off the motherboard, for better or worse. Heres more pics
http://m.imgur.com/375ZWvd,Ba6FheH,jb6GpI6

#3 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 09:35 PM

I can't really tell anything from the photo's you posted, although I didn't see any damage. A few questions: is this the CPU fan you unplugged, or a case fan?

Did the motherboard crack at all? (I only ask because cracking probably would ruin it)

The pins on the motherboard connector serve as conducting paths between the foil run on the underside of the motherboard, to the wires leading to the fan. Do you think that you can put the connector back on, so that the pin that came out goes back in to the spot it came out of, and the same electrical connection would be made? (let me know if you don't get what I am asking)

edit: Or maybe clarify, did the plastic base of the connector break off the motherboard, or did a pin pop off the the base and stick in the fan's connector? 

Edited by yu gnomi, 04 August 2015 - 09:45 PM.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 11:01 PM

That's fixable if you're a bit handy with electronics. Otherwise I'd seek an electronics person in your area to remove the old pins and solder from the board and place the new component.

It's literally a 5 minute job and should not cost a lot.

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,743 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 05 August 2015 - 03:14 PM

Pretty common fix and it wouldn't hurt to check out the other connections and maybe some small wire along with the solder to solidify things even more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users