Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Set Display Prop> Settings> Color Quality on Virtual XP Pro

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BuckNobBoffin

BuckNobBoffin

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 07:47 PM

My pc at work has just been upgraded and I am now running Win 7.  All apps have been migrated or updated to run on Win 7.  But there is one legacy app that requires XP or XP Pro. The host pc runs version Win 7 and the virtual pc runs XP Pro.  The help contractor for the legacy software indicates that to run properly the app needs to operate on a higher quality Color display setting.  The virtual XP device Display Properties> Settings> Color Quality allows only the Medium 16 bit setting not the High 32 bit variety.

My old pc was cloned and copied to create the new one.  So the only difference is that the old pc Host was XP Pro with the virtual also running XP Pro while the new pc Host runs Win 7 and it's virtual runs XP Pro.

I've read through and tried several search results, but can't find a solution.  How can I change my virtual XP Pro from 16-bit color to 32-bit color?

The legacy app works as a stand-alone and also provides a VBA Add-In for Excel.  The app itself functions just fine, but it's the Excel Add-in that I rely on most. 

Edited by hamluis, 05 August 2015 - 10:43 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to XP - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 05 August 2015 - 10:44 AM

I'm not familiar with virtual systems...but did you install the proper drivers for XP?  Without the graphics drivers, I would expect what it seems that you describe, the default Windows XP graphics driver.

Louis

#3 O.T.T.

O.T.T.

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 05 August 2015 - 11:48 AM

What virtualization software are you using ?

I have a Windows XP Pro in VirtualBox and have 32bit on the default "VirtualBox Graphics Adapter" without installing extra drivers. You have to install the "Extension Pack" on your host and the "Guest Additions" in the guest to get this working.

14YuvNw.png

Depending on what virtualization software you use this could be similar...

Another solution is what hamluis said, you search a Windows XP driver for your Windows 7 GPU and install that in your guest. Although much chance there isn't a driver for XP that fits your Windows 7 GPU...

OTT

Please ask Google why some of my links don't work anymore !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users