Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics Driver Update Puts Computer into VGA Mode; Unable to Update

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 MJMStillanerd

MJMStillanerd

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 04:30 PM

Mod Edit:  Merged topics - Hamluis.

I have Dell Inspiron 530S Windows Vista, 64-bit and Intel g33/31 Express Chipset Family as an integrated graphics driver (yes, I know it’s pretty old, don’t laugh). In any case, I was attempting to update my graphics drivers directly from Intel’s website; at the same time, was removing a game I installed in the wrong directory. Suddenly, my computer froze, and I was forced me to do a hard reboot. I went into Safe Mode and it appeared the upgraded driver was installed and game was gone, so I restarted normally.

Once I did, however my monitor resolution (which states its optimum resolution is 1440 x 900) dropped to 800x600, and the highest setting I can now get 1280x1024. Also, my both “Graphics” and “Gaming Graphics” scores in my performance index dropped to 1, and I can no longer put the computer into sleep mode like I used to. I then checked my Display Settings under Advanced Settings, and lists it as “Default Monitor” under the following settings:

Chip Type: <unavailable>
DAC Type: <unavailable>
Adapter String: <unavailable>
Bios Information: <unavailable>
Total Available Graphics Memory: <unavailable>
Dedicated Video Memory: n/a
System Video Memory: n/a
Shared System Memory: n/a

Basically, I’ve somehow gone into VGA mode. So when I looked into the Device Manager, I found that the Display Adapter folder was gone, and that the updated Intel driver I installed was listed as an “unknown device.” And I know it’s the graphics driver because I checked it’s Hardward Ids, Google searched them and it identified them as Intel g33/31 Express Chipset Family.

So I tried to reinstall the driver from the Device Manager. Didn’t work.

I then tried to reinstall the driver using Windows Update. Didn’t work.

I then tried to download and reinstall the driver directly from both Dell and Intel’s website. Didn’t work.

I even tried to reinstall the original graphics driver from the Dell CD which came with my computer. STILL DIDN’T WORK.

Even uninstalling the driver and restarting resulted in the device manager automatically installing the graphics driver as an update, but again to no avail. Every single time I would be told Windows encountered an “unknown error,” or that the device failed to install, and recommended me visiting the driver’s website to “check to support site section for driver software.” Which, of course, I’ve already done numerous times.

And before you ask, my other drivers have all been updated , and Windows states they’re the “best version.“ I’ve also scanned for viruses and malware for possible registry corruptions and it doesn’t appear to found anything. And no, I can’t roll back to the setting before all the trouble started with System Restore because there wasn’t any restore point set for it. Also, Vista came preinstalled with my computer so I don’t have a Windows Installation CD, but it does have a Recovery D drive. There doesn’t appear to be any artifacts of any kind, and I’ve also just cleaned the insides of the pc tower to remove any dust.

Basically, I’m completely stumped, and I’m hoping I haven’t permanently damaged my GPU. Any help is sure appreciated.

Edited by hamluis, 22 August 2015 - 06:48 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 07:51 PM

When I looked at the specs for the 530s it shows as having both integrated and discrete Nvidia graphics available. Looking at the back of the computer is your video cable connected to the vga connector shown in blue. If not then you most likely have a discrete Nvidia card.

bristo23.jpg

#3 MJMStillanerd

MJMStillanerd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 10:31 PM

When I looked at the specs for the 530s it shows as having both integrated and discrete Nvidia graphics available. Looking at the back of the computer is your video cable connected to the vga connector shown in blue. If not then you most likely have a discrete Nvidia card.

bristo23.jpg

Yep, that's exactly what the back looks like, and the video cable is hooked up to the blue vga connector. Always has been.

Also, as I test, I tried updating the unknown device as a Standard VGA Graphics Adapter and it does shows up in the Device Manager under the Display Adapter heading. So thinking I solved the problem, I rebooted the computer to save the settings. However, every time I now enter Windows, the Display Adapter gets disabled and I'm prompted to update the new driver every single time. Whenever I prompt the computer to automatically search for an update, it attempts to install the Intel g33/31 Express Chipset Family, but fails, saying the following: "Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it. Access denied," kicking it down into unknown device again.

Also whenever I choose the update myself from drivers already installed, the only one it accepts is the VGA one and not the Intel Chipset. And of course, I still can't get optimum resolution and sleep mode is still grayed out/non-functional.

#4 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 05 August 2015 - 12:05 AM

Have you tried uninstalling the corrupted driver to force it back to windows default drivers and then updating?

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2015 - 07:24 AM

Is the G33 driver shown in Control Panel under Uninstall Programs? If it is uninstall it but do not reboot. If it is not in Control Panel uninstall programs uninstall it in Device Manager but do not reboot. Then install this driver which you proabably already downloaded. If that does not work uninstall in Safe Mode and install without rebooting.

I am assuming you have 32bit.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/17407/Intel-Graphics-Media-Accelerator-Driver-for-Windows-Vista-32-exe-

This is the one for 64bit

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/17409/Intel-Graphics-Media-Accelerator-Driver-for-Windows-Vista-64-exe-

#6 MJMStillanerd

MJMStillanerd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:14 PM

Okay, been awhile since I posted on this forum as I've really procupied as of late, but I still haven't solved the driver problem.  Just to clarify:

1. I have a 64-bit version of Windows,

2. I've done the suggestion of trying to remove the driver from Uninstall Programs, then reinstalling the downloaded driver. When I do this, I get the message that I must have administrative privlegdges to complete the installation, even though I am already logged in as the administrator.

3. When I try uninstalling the driver from the device manager and then reinstalling the downloaded driver, I'm also told I must have administrative privlegdes to complete the install, even though I'm already logged in as the administrator.

4. Trying both methods even while in safe mode results the same thing--I'm told I must have administrative privledges to complete the installation, even though I'm already logged in as the administrator.

Either way, the updated driver refuses to be installed, and the driver I uninstalled returns.

#7 MJMStillanerd

MJMStillanerd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:19 PM

Have you tried uninstalling the corrupted driver to force it back to windows default drivers and then updating?

Yep. Everytime I've uninstalled the driver, either from the Device Manager or Uninstall Programs, then try to install the updated driver software I downloaded, I'm told that I need administrative privledges to complete the installation, even though I'm already logged in as the administrator. Which means the driver still doesn't get updated.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:34 PM

If the driver is an exe file, Right click and select Run as Administrator. If that fails try installing in safe mode.

#9 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,085 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:35 PM

Do you have a system restore point from before this all happened?

7sbvuf-6.png

#10 MJMStillanerd

MJMStillanerd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 01:04 PM

If the driver is an exe file, Right click and select Run as Administrator. If that fails try installing in safe mode.

I've tried to do both of these (right click and selecting Run as Administator, and trying to install in Safe Mode) and neither one works. Each time I'm told the following:

"Windows found the driver but encountered an unknown error while attempting to install it," and tells me I need administrative permission to complete the installation.

#11 MJMStillanerd

MJMStillanerd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 01:05 PM

Do you have a system restore point from before this all happened?

Unfortunately no.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 01:11 PM

That is strange it would not allow to be installed by running as administrator. Try the following. 

In an elevated command prompt. CMD in the search box > Right click run as administrator type the following

net user administrator /active:yes 

Then reboot. You should now have the hidden administrator account available. login to it and see if the driver will install. 

#13 MJMStillanerd

MJMStillanerd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2015 - 01:06 PM

That is strange it would not allow to be installed by running as administrator. Try the following. 

In an elevated command prompt. CMD in the search box > Right click run as administrator type the following

net user administrator /active:yes 

Then reboot. You should now have the hidden administrator account available. login to it and see if the driver will install. 

Okay, I've logged into the hidden administrator account and tried to install
the driver, both in normal mode and safe mode. And I'm STILL getting the same error message telling me: "You must have administrator rights to
complete this action. Setup will now exit."

The only things I can think of is there may be junk on the computer which is interfering with the setup, or if I have to download the driver again while
logged as the hidden admin?

Edited by MJMStillanerd, 16 September 2015 - 01:07 PM.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2015 - 02:03 PM

Have you tried disabling your Security Software first? If you have any  kind of Optimizers or Registry Cleaners, I would uninstall those also. 

If the above do not work then I think you are dealing with some kind a permissions issue. I am not familiar dealing with permissions but there is a Windows All in one Repair utility that will let you reset file and registry permissions. It may or may not work. If you do use it make sure you create a backup as explained in the program. It would also be a good idea to create a System Restore Point and System Repair disk. 

When running Windows All in One repair only select the reset registry and files permissions boxes.

#15 MJMStillanerd

MJMStillanerd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 07:52 PM

Have you tried disabling your Security Software first? If you have any  kind of Optimizers or Registry Cleaners, I would uninstall those also. 

If the above do not work then I think you are dealing with some kind a permissions issue. I am not familiar dealing with permissions but there is a Windows All in one Repair utility that
will let you reset file and registry permissions. It may or may not work. If you do use it make sure you create a backup as explained in the program. It would also be a good idea to create a System Restore Point and System Repair disk. 

When running Windows All in One repair only select the reset registry and
files permissions boxes.

Okay, I've just tried to do both of these suggestions, right clicking admin and running as hidden administrator. And unfortunately, I'm still getting the error message that I "need administrator rights to complete this action."

I'm starting to think I should try re-downloading the driver since it was downloaded it before the admin changes, but right now I'm really baffled as to why it's still refusing to install. Is there some way to check if there's a different error which could be causing this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users