Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I get a Win 7 Start Page in Win 10

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 greystoke

greystoke

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 05:31 PM

Win 10 installation went smoothly and yes it runs faster than Win 7 Ultimate..BUT..............

I do not like the Start Page with its apps and stuff I don't need.

What I do need is a start menu with all my programs so I can get back to work.

Can I change this to what I had in Win 7?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 05:45 PM

No, but you can pin certain programs to the start menu and unpin the ones you don't use. Then you can drag the tiles around to your liking. :)

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,619 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 05:54 PM

ClassicShell 

I have used it with WIndows 8. It is supposed to have better support for 10.

#4 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 06:09 PM

Yeah, download Classic Shell for Win10, it has many more options than the Win8 version.  Windows 10 doesn't block it, or at least it works just fine in my Win10 Pro 64-bit (which was originally TP, but now activated ever since build 10240).  So no Win10 updates block it, either.

You'll never get what you had in Win7.  It's gone now.  Win10 is abominable by comparison, (link shows the fake start menu).. but that's water under the bridge.  You can get one theme only, and it's mildly like Aero, or you have the horrific 'High Contrast' (no longer Windows Classic or even Basic, which Win7 had).

BUT you can get some color and font customization by going back to your old XP or Win98 or Win95 'Program Files', and maybe you have the extra 'Plus!' folder of themes, icons, etc.  Create the theme you like in the older machine, then store ALL its elements in the Plus Themes folder, and also store the .theme file there.  Then, copy that whole Plus! folder to Windows 10's Program Files x86 folder (so the Plus! folder is within the former), and then create a desktop shortcut to the Plus! program THEMES.exe .

Then, invoke the shortcut.  Pick the theme you created from the drop down box, and maybe at least the font selections and Colors will be replicated in Win10.  It doesn't always work for all menus, and of course can't work in Tombstone (ooops, I mean 'Edge' or IE 11 in Win10) -- but it does work enough to make viewing, better.

Microsoft should be shot for removing Accessibility needs, leaving only that unusable 'high contrast' which will make you go blind.

Edited by brainout, 05 August 2015 - 11:08 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#5 durkinjt

durkinjt

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 10:33 PM

Win 10 installation went smoothly and yes it runs faster than Win 7 Ultimate..BUT..............

Classic Shell, and Start10

#6 reckonankit

reckonankit

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 05 August 2015 - 01:49 AM

You can't get the windows 7 start menu in windows 10 instead of pin progam to start menu which you have need. if found any in appropiate program remove them from here

#7 jfruch1

jfruch1

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 05 August 2015 - 03:41 AM

The new start menu is great - a combo of both.  Get out of your comfort zones people and learn something new. Give it a decent chance.  Finding stuff is much easier with the alpha listing.

#8 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 05 August 2015 - 03:47 AM

1st of all, you don't need any 3rd Party start things.

Now, the "Start Page" can be a "Start menu not, Full screen.  Whatever is on it YOU determine.  Tiles can be removed or added.  Added items are listed contextually. Rt Clk on things & they can be Pinned to Start & or Pinned to Taskbar.

One can, also, enable the Desktop Toolbar and find it extremely utilitarian!

Now, if you are talking about the Start Page in Edge...  Clk on the 3 dots, top-right > Settings.  Set the Start Page to Custom, add the URL & under Advanced Settings can enable a Home Page icon.

Edited by Drew1903, 05 August 2015 - 03:50 AM.

#9 durkinjt

durkinjt

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2015 - 11:34 AM

1st of all, you don't need any 3rd Party start things.

Now, the "Start Page" can be a "Start menu not, Full screen.  Whatever is on it YOU determine.  Tiles can be removed or added.  Added items are listed contextually. Rt Clk on things & they can be Pinned to Start & or Pinned to Taskbar.

One can, also, enable the Desktop Toolbar and find it extremely utilitarian!

Now, if you are talking about the Start Page in Edge...  Clk on the 3 dots, top-right > Settings.  Set the Start Page to Custom, add the URL & under Advanced Settings can enable a Home Page icon.

Start10 has a three choices, one is a Win 7 clone. I have it.

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2015 - 11:39 AM

+1 for ClassicShell that supports Windows 10. It's entirely free and fully customizable. Products by StarDock are also good, but they are paid products. And since ClassicShell works extremely well, I don't know why we would use a paid product when there's a free alternative.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#11 durkinjt

durkinjt

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2015 - 07:06 PM

I have Classic Shell on two computer's and have had Start10, I prefer Classic myself, is very much like Win 7, but if he wants an exact duplicate of Win 7 , Start has one,it has 3 choices, but cost's $4.99, not a lot if you really want clone of Win.7

#12 durkinjt

durkinjt

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 10:38 PM

I have Classic Shell on two computer's and have had Start10, I prefer Classic myself, is very much like Win 7, but if he wants an exact duplicate of Win 7 , Start has one,it has 3 choices, but cost's $4.99, not a lot if you really want clone of Win.7

My mistake Shell also has a Win7 clone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users