Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

General Phone questions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 alexmark

alexmark

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 04:57 PM

My old iPod touch decided to die a few days ago and so I have to get a new one and I decided it might as well be a phone too I have no experience with phones I’ve never been interested in them whenever I needed to talk to my friends I always had an internet connection and spending 50$ per month was never too appealing to me either but having a phone seems like more of a necessity now so I have a few questions although I already research on most of what I’m about to ask but I it’s better to get a second opinion or more details on the matter.
1.Like I mentioned above  I’m not interested in paying 50$ a month I’ll be using skype/Imessage as often as I possibly can and only interested on having the phone portion of it for if I’m meeting with friends outside and I can’t get an internet connection, meeting new people so I have to give them a number or if it’s for work so I’m thinking of just loading a $100 on to my phone and forgetting about it( when doing research I noticed you could buy minutes but they expire after 90 or so days is this the case for all pay as you go plans)if I need to phone I’ll be able to and not have to think about monthly bills  so what I’d be looking for is a pay as you go plan or is there something else to better suit my needs?
2. I’m in Ontario Canada so if I’m to do some research on plans what would my main options be?
3. I’m planning on buying a used iPhone 5s say if there was an ad selling one but it had Fido as its carrier that would mean if I bought it I could only get a pay as you go plan from Fido would that be the only restriction and is this restriction only for a set amount of time or is it locked to that carrier for good?, And if I buy an unlocked phone I can take it to any of the major cellphone companies given that the phone is compatible with them whether its gsm or cdma
4. When buying a used phone if its tied to a carrier would meeting the seller at the carriers store help at all if I bring it in to them would they be able to tell me everything I need to know about it such as if it’s been stolen, iclouded, etc. and are there any other things I should look out for when buying a used phone or anything about on phones in general I’m sure any info is useful
Thanks ahead of time for any responses

Edit: Moved topic from Which tablet should I buy? to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 a.h.h.10

a.h.h.10

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 18 August 2015 - 02:35 PM

I would consult with the cell phone service providers in your area. According to Wikipedia, there are three large telecom companies https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Canadian_mobile_phone_companies

Also check for the coverage map with each provider.

Since you're wanting an iPhone the provider may have refurbished or older iPhone models available at a cheaper price. I wouldn't bother buying used cell phones from other people since you are concerned about it being stolen.

#3 ljohnson588

ljohnson588

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 25 January 2016 - 02:16 PM

Check with Best Buy if there is one in your area. They do sell Open Box iPhones. It is basically a phone that someone decided to return within their 14 day return policy and can't be sold at the normal price. When the iPhone 5 came out a few years back, I got the iPhone 4s Open Box for $1 on a two-year contract.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users