Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stress testing new computer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nate613

nate613

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 04:23 PM

I just bought a new computer, and I'd like to stress test it to see if it's up to par. There seem to be many programs purporting to do this, but many sound like they do different things. Which one(s) should I use, and what should I know going in?

I'm running a Dell Inspiron 15 5558 with core i7-5500u, 6GB RAM, 1 TB HDD.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 05:53 PM

NovaBench is a free benchmarking program that finds your computer's limits and compares it to other computers. To give you an idea of the overall score you should get (relatively), I have a core i5-4440 with 8 GB of RAM and a mid range GPU and it got a score of around 1400.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#3 nate613

nate613
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 05 August 2015 - 12:58 AM

NovaBench is purely a benchmarking tool; I'm looking to actually put the computer under a heavy load to see if any of the components fail. However, I did run NovaBench; I scored a 710 the first time I ran it, and it got slightly lower on subsequent runs. Obviously, the biggest difference between our processors is that yours is a desktop and mine is a laptop, as well as the difference in ram and that you have a decent GPU. However, should I have rated so low comparatively?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 05 August 2015 - 11:27 AM

Overclockers us Prime95 to put a  heavy load on to see if their overclocked computer to see if it is stable.

If this is a new computer and is working as it should, I would leave it alone and enjoy the new machine. 

Edited by dc3, 05 August 2015 - 11:31 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 10 August 2015 - 08:13 PM

If anything would kill the components it would be the stress test.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#6 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 10 August 2015 - 08:31 PM

If anything would kill the components it would be the stress test.

Or overclocking too much.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#7 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 10 August 2015 - 08:57 PM

You can't overclock a chip that is ix-xxxxu, only ix-xxxxk processors, so your processor(as long as it doesn't overheat) should last 10-15 years

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users