Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shopping for a new laptop and feeling overwhelmed!!!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CandiceB

CandiceB

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 04:01 PM

Hi!

I am new to this forum and am hoping to get some recommendations by others who are more computer savvy than I am.

I am looking for a new laptop and as much as i would love to switch to mac it is not in my budget. I have been doing some research and it seems the more i read the more confused i get and the more mixed reviews I find. I was going to get a toshiba as i have heard they are qood quality but based on the articles and reveiws i have read it seems like they have gone downhill lately. I read Dell has had a come back with quality but am hesitant since they have had such a bad reputation in the past. I have also heard HP sucks. I heard Asus is good overall but some reviews have suggested otherwise. You see why i am so confused....lol

i use my laptop for basics such as pictures, internet, email, writing, streaming music and netflix/hulu, etc. I also use for basic business tasks and graphics. I would like to be able to do some video editting. I do not game on my computer. I am looking for something with high speed and multi tasking functions as my current computer is pretty slow and wastes my time.

What brand(s) do you recommend or completely avoid?

Also, another question: i have seen used apple laptops for about the same price as a new windows laptop with comparable specs. Would you recommend taking the risk with a used mac since they are so reliable and 'last forever'? 

TYIA

Here are the minimum specs i am looking for:

8 gigs ram

1 T HD

15.6 inch screen

ideally at least i5 processor

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CandiceB

CandiceB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 04:03 PM

btw, my original bugdet was about $500 but i am realizing there are not that many options for that price so i am willing to wait a little bit and increase my budget to about $800 if needed (although i would prefer not to spend that much)

#3 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 09:53 PM

Since your not really into gaming you may want to look at the specifications for whatever video software you are using is. so that you at least get a compatible video card solution.  If your talking about using windows movie maker then disregard. 

Pretty much any system you 'land' on is going to be fine for doing your desired tasks.  You can take a look at notebookcheck.com and get a look at their reviews of budet model laptops.  You can also check out xoticpc.com to look over specs of different models available.  And then of course there's Amazon.

If you can't decide between a model or two you can post the link to thieir specs and we can critique them for you.

#4 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 11:13 PM

I heard Asus is good overall but some reviews have suggested otherwise. You see why i am so confused....lol

There are always going to be bad reviews no matter how good a product is. 

I am looking for a new laptop and as much as i would love to switch to mac it is not in my budget.

Fun fact. Both ASUS and Lenovo have lower fail rates then Apple laptops. Apple is also notorious for not cooling their laptops properly, and then the internals getting damaged because of it.  

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#5 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 10 August 2015 - 10:57 AM

What I prefer is to have a thin mildly powerful laptop using remote desktop connection with my desktop at home. Although this means some latency in the connection, things only have to be saved in one place.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users