Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My complaint to our Attorney General regarding printer and ink challenges & HP

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 ybliku2

ybliku2

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 03:52 PM

About a month ago I became fed up completely with HP and they way you cannot even print in Black ink only anymore.  I print a lot of things, being disabled and having an expensive "hobby" of being a bead enthusiast, I print a lot of patterns to work with.  I use a lot of ink and it does cost a lot of money. When I ran into the problem with HP and how they have stopped me from being able to print in all black, I contacted the Pres of HP and was contacted by someone.  She was polite, unlike myself. I was pretty fed up at that point and honestly there was not much that was going to make me happy. After a couple of days of trying all her suggestions, it hit me to contact my AG and see what they have to say about this whole mess. Something has to be done to stop these companies that are forcing us to use only their ink, not allowing the consumer any choice does not set well with me at all. I realize that I am not alone, but wonder how others feel about this and also wonder if anyone else has contacted their AG in their state?  I told HP what I was going to do and they offered me 1 free shipment of complete ink. This is a joke for me. A set of cartridges for my printer lasts me about 2 weeks at the most. So then what? Coupons and discounts are of little value to me either. How do other people feel about the way printer companies are treating the consumers?  Is there a way we can all band together and file a huge class action lawsuit and perhaps stop this once and for all?  I want to do something to prompt change in the way the consumer is getting screwed in all this. I am totally FED the heck up and would like to hear other opinions on this matter. This is eating me alive, consuming me and stress is causing me even more health problems on top of the already disability I suffer with and well, there is no hope for feeling better and this problem is just consuming me alive. I welcome any/all thoughts, comments or whatever on this EXCEPT someone telling me to get over it. I cannot/will not ignore this at this time. Not until I think I have done absolutely everything I can possibly do to change things. OK Thank you all!  Thanks~

Edited by Queen-Evie, 05 August 2015 - 10:54 AM.
moved from Speak Easy to External Hardware

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 05 August 2015 - 05:31 PM

Have you never investigated alternative sources of supply - you don't have to buy your ink from HP. You don't say what model of printer you are using so I picked three models at random from the list supplied by the firm I get my ink from, all prices in £UK. They supply both original manufacturer's and after-market cartridges. These are prices for black cartridges

Deskjet 1100c       :-  HP 45 high capacity £21.66;  alternative £3.24

Photosmart 2410  :-  HP 56 £13.98;  alternative £5.13

Envy 4500            :-  HP 301 £6.82,  alternative £5.13

all plus £2.43 / order p&p

While the savings vary quite a bit, they can be substantial.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2015 - 05:40 PM

For heavy users there are also Continuous Ink Supply Systems available for some printers, that do away with replacing cartridges altogether and instead feed from large reservoirs of cheap ink.  I'd probably look into one of them before considering any legal avenues.  Example supplier - http://www.cityinkexpress.co.uk/ciss/ciss-for-hp-printers

Do agree that printer manufacturers in general are using expensive ink and supplies to subsidise cheap printers.  Effectively they more or less give away printers and make their money on extortionate replacement supplies, and have chips designed purely to lock out competitors from supplying ink...

Edited by jonuk76, 05 August 2015 - 05:48 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 05 August 2015 - 06:27 PM

If you're going through that much ink why haven't you gone to a laser printer?  You're using the wrong tool for the job.

I recommend only using original manufacturer supplies, but as jonuk76 said you can use other suppliers if you want.

Edited by hamluis, 16 October 2015 - 12:57 PM.

#5 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 12:20 PM

My parents have a Lexmark printer (newer model all in one)  I used this guide to tell the printer to print in greyscale and that worked for me.  I don't know for sure if HP and other manufacturer's purposefully built their machines to not print in black when color cartridges are low to increase profits or to stop calls coming in saying their color page will only print black.  Who knows.  I would like to think it is not to increase profits. As someone stated .. there are better solutions if your just mainly printing black and white.  Lazer printers' cartridges may be more expensive but you usually get more than 4x or more printing output than a comparable ink printer.  And then there is that new printer from epson that carries a huge reservoir of ink and replacement ink is very affordable.  The fact is .. its not JUST HP whose printer functions this way and it is highly debatable on WHY they function that way- you would have to take them all to court.  Good luck with that one.

Edited by YeahBleeping, 06 August 2015 - 12:22 PM.

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 04:15 PM

Incidentally, is it correct that it's always printing in "process black" (meaning black formed by mixing the colour cartridges) rather than true black? Or have I misunderstood? This results in black prints looking greenish usually.  

I recently had someone complaining that their Samsung laser printer had started doing this for unknown reasons.  The reason appeared to be that they were printing PDF documents through Firefox and FF's PDF viewer was outputting some weird poor quality results, black text coming out greenish etc.  Printing the exact same documents from Adobe Reader or Mac Preview resulted in the print working perfectly.  I therefore just disabled Firefox PDF viewer for them...  Just saying there may be other reasons for the issues you describe.  Does pure black text from a word processor, come out in process black, for example?

Definitely agree with the other comments that a laser is a better choice for high volume printing.  If you are not interested in colour printing you can get economical mono lasers which will churn out thousands of pages per month for a fraction of the cost of inkjet printing.

Edited by jonuk76, 06 August 2015 - 04:18 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#7 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,925 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 07 August 2015 - 11:16 AM

Getting the unit to print in black only, printer controls need to be set to GRAY SCALE.  This will use black only.  The 4CP really drains the colors when doing black as it uses all three colors (magenta, cyan and yellow) beside a little bit of black.

#8 LFos42

LFos42

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 16 August 2015 - 12:01 AM

It's nice to find other people unhappy about the whole 'black ink' thing.  I agree.  I replaced an HP printer this year and with the newer models it is really hard to keep the default set to 'black ink only' and not have to manually check it for every print.  and yes, you need the freaking color cartridges for black only prints.  I don't print that much volume, but I chose my printer model also based on the recurring costs of the ink --> a significant investment and worth considering when buying a printer.

I guess the only thing that made me feel better was that apparently all the copier brands are doing it, not just HP, but yes, I do think it's a scam..... and I didn't get free ink from HP, so hey, at least you got that.

#9 ybliku2

ybliku2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2015 - 01:11 PM

About a month ago I became fed up completely with HP and they way you cannot even print in Black ink only anymore.  I print a lot of things, being disabled and having an expensive "hobby" of being a bead enthusiast, I print a lot of patterns to work with.  I use a lot of ink and it does cost a lot of money. When I ran into the problem with HP and how they have stopped me from being able to print in all black, I contacted the Pres of HP and was contacted by someone.  She was polite, unlike myself. I was pretty fed up at that point and honestly there was not much that was going to make me happy. After a couple of days of trying all her suggestions, it hit me to contact my AG and see what they have to say about this whole mess. Something has to be done to stop these companies that are forcing us to use only their ink, not allowing the consumer any choice does not set well with me at all. I realize that I am not alone, but wonder how others feel about this and also wonder if anyone else has contacted their AG in their state?  I told HP what I was going to do and they offered me 1 free shipment of complete ink. This is a joke for me. A set of cartridges for my printer lasts me about 2 weeks at the most. So then what? Coupons and discounts are of little value to me either. How do other people feel about the way printer companies are treating the consumers?  Is there a way we can all band together and file a huge class action lawsuit and perhaps stop this once and for all?  I want to do something to prompt change in the way the consumer is getting screwed in all this. I am totally FED the heck up and would like to hear other opinions on this matter. This is eating me alive, consuming me and stress is causing me even more health problems on top of the already disability I suffer with and well, there is no hope for feeling better and this problem is just consuming me alive. I welcome any/all thoughts, comments or whatever on this EXCEPT someone telling me to get over it. I cannot/will not ignore this at this time. Not until I think I have done absolutely everything I can possibly do to change things. OK Thank you all!  Thanks~

I wanted to update my post to tell everyone that my Attorney General must have done something for me on this topic. I got a reply from her saying that she had written to HP and they should be contacting me.  Soon I got a notice for an update from HP. I went  in to look at whether it was an update or what. It was a full version download. I downloaded it and now my printer is working again. There has been things in this download I have never seen before and I can also print papers in black only. Which is something I have never been able to do before.  I just want to let everyone know that we put these people in their positions to work for us. I knew that what HP was doing should be considered as being against the consumer protection of the state.  I think I got the attention of HP also in what I did because my phone has not stopped ringing.  I have had several phone calls from them.  The best thing is my printer is working and I should now be able to purchase ink from anyplace I choose and they should not be able to disable my printer because I did. I do not have to have 2 sets of cartridges to work with and so on.....Thanks! Just wanted to let everyone know that sometimes we sit back and accept things that we do not have to accept.

Edited by ybliku2, 07 October 2015 - 01:14 PM.

#10 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 07 October 2015 - 07:03 PM

You will not be able to obtain black ink only printing if any cartridges have run out. This is to ensure that air is not sucked into the print head (instead of the ink that prior to the cartridge running out was available) therefore potentially damaging the printer.

In order to function, the printer will require black and colour ink cartridges to be inserted with a certain amount of ink in each cartridge.

From Epson. First time I saw anything like this. I guess it makes sense.

#11 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2015 - 07:43 PM

I may have to write a letter like that myself. Certainly complaining to Kodak has done no good.

I have a Kodak ESP 3250 all-in-one printer that has never printed in color since the day I bought it 7 years ago other than when I print a test page to keep the nozzles clear.  It will not run without both cartridges in place and there is no way to print only in black.  Yet I have had to replace both cartridges every few months.

I do not print anything in color on that printer.  To me that says it is in the programing since the ink monitor will show no color useage until the black cartridge is 3/4 empty then all of a sudden the color shows it drops to half full.

Their documentation says I should get about 4000 pages out of a cartridge, I am lucky if I can get 2500.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#12 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2015 - 08:09 PM

Printers are dirt cheap. They say that using those cheap ink injecting services at the mall or wherever is a bad idea because the ink can end up leaking and ruining your printer, but like, who cares? The ink savings in 1 month will pay for a new dirt cheap printer. If you only want to print black and white, don't use a color printer.

Also, for some uses, I think you should consider a cheap tablet instead of printing everything.

#13 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2015 - 01:05 PM

"...Their documentation says I should get about 4000 pages out of a cartridge, I am lucky if I can get 2500...."
I'll bet it's for 5% print, meaning [I think] that 95% of the paper is blank. Anymore percentage of black ink onto paper -- runs the copy-count downwards.

Edited by RolandJS, 08 October 2015 - 02:21 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#14 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2015 - 02:05 PM

I have been using grey scale for years but on here I see no place to choose/set how much ink to actually use.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#15 ybliku2

ybliku2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2015 - 08:57 PM

What I have been trying to say is that I was printing in color and in black and white using HP printers for years. I had been buying any kind of ink I wanted to and it was working. Suddenly, HP must have downloaded an update to my printer without my having any knowledge of it, because when I purchased the same ink from the same Cartridge World place that I have always purchased from, suddenly my printer stopped printing. I got an error on the screen and it said for me to do such and such press ok. I did and it returned to the first page of the error (page 1 of 3). I could not get out of the error. I tried everything including purchasing HP ink cartridges and it kept telling me the brand new cartridges were empty. As a matter of fact everything I put in that printer said it was empty. No matter what, from where and how much it cost. I knew it was happening right after a  download. I had my suspicions. I sent email to Pres of HP and he (or she) had someone from the Customer Pleasing dept call me. I told her everything I was planning to do and she sent me a paper that was from Bleeping Computers...It was about a work around for HP printers that involved 2 sets of cartridges. This burned my fire. I thought that was pretty much a slap in the face from them to me. That told me that HP cared about nothing except the almighty dollar in an economy that is causing more and more people to lose everything they ever owned. I still get mad all over when I think back on that moment. I am a disabled person and have been in a spot that I almost lost everything I ever had and I will tell you, it is not a pleasant place to find yourself at. But anyway, I have had results with my Attorney General before and she has always told me to contact them if I feel like I am being done wrong. Well, being done wrong was not the total story I thought of.when it happened and this is the reason why I wrote to her to see if she had a different idea as to what it was all about. I have never been a person that wants corrections only for myself. I am not selfish kind of person and I am not an it has to be all about me. So, to all the people that are writing responses to this post and saying "Haven't you ever thought of purchasing ink someplace other than HP". Yes I have, I did and they stopped me from doing so. In an effort to keep others from going through the irritation that I went through, I felt out the waters for how the Attorney General of my state felt about what was happening. I got my answer and posted it here so others would know what can happen if they just use that avenue.  I felt that I had to explain myself because of all the posts that made me feel like I was a baby in what I did. No, I can stand on my own two feet and get things accomplished. I am sorry if I took this the wrong way and wrote this out of line. But, I have also learned a lesson of my life by posting this, and that lesson would be....If I ever again do something that may actually help someone else avoid irritation, I sure as the world will not post it here or on any other social media type arena. Thanks to all who seemingly supported me, no thanks to those who seemingly treated me as if I could not stand up and do for myself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users