Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Resurrecting a dead computer with Linux

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Muhamaat

Muhamaat

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 01:57 PM

I have an old HP Computer that I still have been using until a month ago. It still used Windows XP. I read that I could revive it by putting Linux on it. So I downloaded Ubuntu onto a memory stick, started the computer, went into the Bios and did not see where I could boot from jump drive only optical drive. But, when the computer first crashed I tried to use the system restore in the optical drive but that wouldn't run either. This was my only computer other than a Gen 1 iPad and cellphone. I also read that some older computers will not boot from jump drive but if the system restore didn't load how else could I raise this dinosaur???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 gigawert

gigawert

Computer Consultant

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 02:01 PM

Well, to properly burn an iso to a flash drive, you need to use an imaging tool like Rufus to make it bootable. Then, if USB isn't listed in the BIOS boot menu, look for "external device" or something like that and move that to the top. That way, if there is a USB drive plugged in, it will boot from that, otherwise it will boot from the hard drive. Hope I answered your question. :)

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#3 Muhamaat

Muhamaat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 02:17 PM

Hmmm. I just downloaded ubuntu from the website and saved it on the stick. It seems like I have more work to make it bootable.

#4 gigawert

gigawert

Computer Consultant

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 02:23 PM

No, you just download rufus (https://rufus.akeo.ie/) then select the USB drive and the iso image, then burn.

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#5 TheLaughingITMann

TheLaughingITMann

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 03:24 PM

I have an old HP Computer that I still have been using until a month ago. It still used Windows XP. I read that I could revive it by putting Linux on it. So I downloaded Ubuntu onto a memory stick, started the computer, went into the Bios and did not see where I could boot from jump drive only optical drive. But, when the computer first crashed I tried to use the system restore in the optical drive but that wouldn't run either. This was my only computer other than a Gen 1 iPad and cellphone. I also read that some older computers will not boot from jump drive but if the system restore didn't load how else could I raise this dinosaur???

You have to use a boot creation tool like YUMI USB to put the Ubuntu image properly onto a USB stick. Secondly, an XP era unit will sometimes consolidate USB drives under Hard Drives on your BIOS or your Boot Menu screen. If you also want to, you can also take an Ubuntu image, burn it to a CD or DVD as a bootable ISO (which it should be by default), and then run it in your ODD.

#6 gigawert

gigawert

Computer Consultant

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 03:35 PM

You have to use a boot creation tool like YUMI USB to put the Ubuntu image properly onto a USB stick. Secondly, an XP era unit will sometimes consolidate USB drives under Hard Drives on your BIOS or your Boot Menu screen. If you also want to, you can also take an Ubuntu image, burn it to a CD or DVD as a bootable ISO (which it should be by default), and then run it in your ODD.

I already mentioned most of that...

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 05 August 2015 - 02:57 AM

I think we should start out by confirming what Muhamaat wants to accomplish?

And exactly what computer we are working with? Speccy sheet if possible.

Muhamaat, Did you want to keep XP? and dual boot with linux, or, just install over it?

Do you have Recovery Disks for XP?  I'm guessing not as you tried some kind of Recovery, was that a Repair Disk?
When you did this, did you insert the Repair Disk...and then Re-boot?  Would be good to know if the Optical Drive is working.

What computer are you downloading linux to?  Does it have a DVD Burner?  Personally I prefer to Burn the Linux Image from iso to DVD and then test it out on machine.  If you don't like the linux OS or it don't work well on it, then you can Burn a different one and try a few out. 

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users