Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to recover files from a slaved HDD, having issues...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 advent619

advent619

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 01:39 PM

So I had a MAC fail (motherboard issues), took out the HDD, plugged it into my Ubuntu box. I can mount the drive, browse to it etc, but I cannot copy/write to/from it.

I've already run sudo/gksu nautilus, but it doesn't fix the issue. I can open/view the files, but I cannot copy them. Says "you do not have permission to read" when I try to drag/drop onto desktop. Chown returns a - "no such file/directory" when attempting to gain ownership of /media/Macintosh HD/User/contact/.

I had no issues recovering data from the BOOTCAMP partition running Windows 7. Just can't get the data off the MAC partition. Can't recover data on Windows box as it doesn't even see the drive.

Thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 01:49 PM

Yeah Windows is useless when trying to see any kind of *nix platform.

Check out this Ubuntu thread. I had an issue when trying to mount an Ubuntu hard drive from a different computer to Ubuntu on another computer, I had to go through some different steps and had to install a certain mounting program to mount it.

I am not a Mac expert, but if the drive is HFS+ journaled, as mentioned in the link, then give those instructions a go and see if you can get it mounted for R/W access.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#3 advent619

advent619
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 02:41 PM

Yeah Windows is useless when trying to see any kind of *nix platform.

Check out this Ubuntu thread. I had an issue when trying to mount an Ubuntu hard drive from a different computer to Ubuntu on another computer, I had to go through some different steps and had to install a certain mounting program to mount it.

I am not a Mac expert, but if the drive is HFS+ journaled, as mentioned in the link, then give those instructions a go and see if you can get it mounted for R/W access.

That was one of the first things I tried, mounts but not RW. I'm probably just going to say screw it, put that HDD in an external HDD enclosure, get a macbook from my boss, and move the data over that way.

#4 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 02:47 PM

It took me a good couple hours (or more) to get my Ubuntu drive mounted in R/W capacity. You may have to do more google foo to get it to work. Google any errors, whatever comes up in the terminal when trying to mount it, etc.

If you have access to a mac book, by all means go that route (hopefully that works for you). All up to you.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users