Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't merge partition back to C/drive

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Plumber

Plumber

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 12:08 PM

Awhile back I created a partition to install 10.Somehow I screwed it up and created 10gig instead of 100gig.I believe it was Aura that told me to merge it back in disk management,worked fine.So I created another partition,the right size of course and installed 10.Used it for about a week but wasn't really impressed so I reformatted the partition and got rid of 10.Went to merge it back but this time the option is greyed out.Have a feeling it's because I formatted the partition.Could someone please give me some

advice,thank-you.

Attached Files

• Attached File  0.txt   589bytes   5 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 12:18 PM

Hi Plumber :)

Are you able to provide me a screenshot of your Windows Disk Management console so I can see how your drives and partitions looks like?

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Plumber

Plumber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 12:40 PM

I hope so,the pic should be here.Attached File  Screenshot (54).png   159.89KB   3 downloads

Attached Files

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 12:53 PM

You are trying to expand the C: drive space with the space from the partition A:, right? Right-click on the partition A:, then select Delete volume. Once done, the Expand option when you right-click on the C: drive will be available.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Plumber

Plumber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 02:13 PM

Thanks again Aura,can't believe how easy that was.Learning something new all the time.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 02:28 PM

No problem Plumber, you're welcome :)

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#7 gftd

gftd

• Banned Spammer
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 13 August 2015 - 09:50 PM

Sometimes Disk Management's Extend Volume is greyed out that you cannot use it. So I suggest you to use some other software to merge partitions. Third party software is easy-to-use than Disk Management, and the operations is simpler.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 05:19 AM

This is because you cannot expand a partition in Disk Management from the left, only the right. And if the partitions aren't side by side, the one on the left cannot take the space from the right one (like if there's another one in-between). I only use a third-party partition manager in situation like these, otherwise the Windows Disk Management utility does the job pretty well :)

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#9 Plumber

Plumber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 07:19 AM

I tell you what,the advice Aura gave me worked like a charm.2 clicks and 10 seconds,can't get much easier than that.

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 07:36 AM

Glad to see that you got it sorted out easily too :)

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users