Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vensmile W10 with Z3735F (for Win8.1) to configure for Windows XP Professional

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 sev7en2507

sev7en2507

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 11:24 AM

Good evening,

I have that mini-pc but I would like to install Windows XP as it would be good to use it for the old game (I want create a retro-gaming/mini-pc hub)!

The problem is... I tried to boot a Windows XP Professional SP2 and SP3 bootable image via CD-ROM and via USB but it doesn't start... the system after some seconds continue to load Windows 8.1.

I checked in the BIOS and I can also enable the Linux boot but not something different than the Windows 8.x.

The product I have is that one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XDQDXCA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

E-Alifun® Vensmile W10 Wintel Mini PC Compute Stick Atom BayTrail CR,Z3735F Quad-core (4C/4T) SoC CPU Windows 8.1 Pocket Computer XBMC TV Player with DDR 2GB EMMC 64G Bluetooth 4.0 Built-in Battery 2.4G/5G Dual Band WiFi 2.4ghz/5ghz,2nd Expanded Edition

61YhMIJQ7wL._SL1001_.jpg

Can I have your support?

Cheers

Edited by hamluis, 26 September 2016 - 03:32 PM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,413 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 12:46 PM

You mean that you want to erase the 8.1 install...and install XP?

Do you have a valid license to install XP on any system?

Any image of XP which was made on a different system...will not necessarily be transferable to a different system.  This is by design.

Louis

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,313 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 06:27 PM

• default_large.png
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted Today, 12:18 AM

hamluis, on 04 Aug 2015 - 6:46 PM, said:snapback.png

You mean that you want to erase the 8.1 install...and install XP?

Do you have a valid license to install XP on any system?

Any image of XP which was made on a different system...will not necessarily be transferable to a different system.  This is by design.

Louis

Good morning,
yes, I have a stand-alone Windows XP PRofessional and I want remove Windows 8.1 and install Windows XP Professional but it looks like not supported for the boot-strap. Did you can help me?

Thanks!

NOTE :  This was posted as a 'Report' by Sev7en2507, presumably by mistake.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,967 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 08:01 PM

I am not sure if Windows 8 is embedded in firmware on this computer. I looked at the comments on Amazon and it seems the computer is UEFI. If UEFI settings cannot be changed to legacy or CSM boot you will not be able to boot XP 32bit as it is not UEFI capable. Only 64bit XP can boot on a UEFI comptuer. You will also not get 64bit to boot if your UEFI setting has SecureBoot and you cannot disable it.

https://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/extensible_firmware_interface.mspx?mfr=true

#5 sev7en2507

sev7en2507
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2015 - 01:11 AM

Dear Chris,

thanks, yes, my mistake... :P

I am not sure if Windows 8 is embedded in firmware on this computer. I looked at the comments on Amazon and it seems the computer is UEFI. If UEFI settings cannot be changed to legacy or CSM boot you will not be able to boot XP 32bit as it is not UEFI capable. Only 64bit XP can boot on a UEFI comptuer. You will also not get 64bit to boot if your UEFI setting has SecureBoot and you cannot disable it.

https://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/extensible_firmware_interface.mspx?mfr=true

Good afternoon,

thanks you did it... I guess it is that one the problem. I have to buy a 64bit edition of Windows XP Professional to check it.

Meanwhile I can only say thanks!

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,967 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2015 - 07:15 AM

I am not sure you could install XP even if you got 64bit because I don't know if the OS on the is computer is embedded, in other words if it is in a chip in computer and not on the eMMC drive. The eMMC is only 64GB and Windows 8 takes at least 30GB for an install so it's possible Windows 8 in located on a chip. If that is the case, you will not be able to install XP.

Did you install linux on this computer. In your first post you mentioned linux. If you installed linux then you have a good chance of installing XP.

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 August 2015 - 07:17 AM.

#7 sev7en2507

sev7en2507
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2015 - 08:19 AM

Dear all,

thanks for your support, I grabbed a few of screenshots, maybe they are able to give you all the tools to sort out any dubt...

k5xV1Ge.jpg

GvLxmN0.jpg

SUEEGHO.jpg

ps9eMf3.jpg

Edited by sev7en2507, 05 August 2015 - 08:20 AM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,967 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2015 - 08:44 AM

Can you provide a screenshot of Disk Management? In Windows 8 right click Computer > Manage > Disk Management

From looking at your screenshots, it looks like a regular BIOS.

#9 sev7en2507

sev7en2507
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2015 - 08:46 AM

Can you provide a screenshot of Disk Management? In Windows 8 right click Computer > Manage > Disk Management

From looking at your screenshots, it looks like a regular BIOS.

Dear John,

thanks I will, what do you think about the "Force Windows - Windows 8.x" option? Maybe the BIOS is locked... I tried also to boot in Linux mode, but Windows XP does't start.

#10 sev7en2507

sev7en2507
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2015 - 08:47 AM

P.S: I found also that: http://www.cnx-software.com/2015/02/13/how-to-install-ubuntu-15-04-on-mele-pcg03-intel-mini-pc/

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,967 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2015 - 08:58 AM

I am not sure what the force Windows option is. I noticed in your link that the mele is UEFI. When you go to the main page of your BIOS does it mention UEFI. The screenshot of your Disk Managment Window will tell me if you are UEFI or BIOS.

Edit: When you boot linux what distro is it?

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 August 2015 - 09:00 AM.

#12 sev7en2507

sev7en2507
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2015 - 11:29 AM

I am not sure what the force Windows option is. I noticed in your link that the mele is UEFI. When you go to the main page of your BIOS does it mention UEFI. The screenshot of your Disk Managment Window will tell me if you are UEFI or BIOS.

Edit: When you boot linux what distro is it?

Dear John,

here it is: EFI.

oL8yvFV.jpg

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,967 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2015 - 11:40 AM

You have an EFI partition and therefore you are using UEFI. You should also show a GPT disk. If you type CMD in the search box of Windows 8 and open a command prompt type Diskpart list disk You should see a * listed under the GPT heading. If you can install XP it will have to be 64bit.

#14 sev7en2507

sev7en2507
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2015 - 11:54 AM

You have an EFI partition and therefore you are using UEFI. You should also show a GPT disk. If you type CMD in the search box of Windows 8 and open a command prompt type Diskpart list disk You should see a * listed under the GPT heading. If you can install XP it will have to be 64bit.

Once again, thanks. If I do that, with diskpart then select Disk 0 (the only available) then list partition I have only the list of the active partition nothing about the GPT details... how can I get it?

And another thing... the system doesn't boot with the Windows XP Professional 64Bit CD, if we apply that changes it will start from it? I don't see the "connection"...

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,967 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2015 - 12:23 PM

It should be shown under list disk. The XP install disk probably will not boot in UEFI. Can the computer boot from a USB?

convert-gpt-to-mbr-4-b.gif

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 August 2015 - 12:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users