Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to boot the Window 7 OS that is installed on a loose Hitachi laptop HDD

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mrcodix

mrcodix

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 10:36 AM

Hello,

My Acer Aspire won't start after boot (the fan buzzes but there is only a black screen). So i removed the HDD that contains all my programs and files an immediately bought a new laptop. This laptop is a toshiba that has windows 8 preinstalled along with a whole lot of advertising junk. I wish to run the OS of my Hitachi  loose laptop HDD but Toshiba only reads its own HDD's, When i plug it in the toshiba i get an error message so i have to some how run the hitachi HDD externally somehow.

Could someone please tell me what my options are?

Is there a way to completely overwrite all the data on the toshiba HDD with the data on my Hitachi?

Or should i try to find an HDD to USB adapter cord and try to run it that way?

Please help and tell me what the most viable option is..

Thank you in Advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mauguilar

mauguilar

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 11:00 AM

Is not possible to Boot the HDD from the Acer on the Toshiba computer they are different models so that means different drivers, it will never work.

Maybe if you format the HDD and install windows 7 on the new machine but you might need a new license to activate windows 7. 

#3 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,986 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 11:19 AM

Hi,

What happen if you start the Acer Aspire without the HDD?

Or should i try to find an HDD to USB adapter cord and try to run it that way?

The USB adapter is one option to access the data on the Acer HDD if the disk isn't bad, this will not work to boot the system inside.
The system on the old HDD will only work on the Acer because it have drivers specific for that machine.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#4 mrcodix

mrcodix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 12:09 PM

Hi Malware Response team,

I get still a black screen on startup.

@maugilar, What do you mean with, need a new license? I cannot use the license code on the back of my Acer Laptop?

Can i transfer installed programs through the USB method to my Toshiba? For instance microsoft office?\

kind regards,

#5 mauguilar

mauguilar

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 12:27 PM

You can't use the OEM licenses that came with your Acer computer 

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1946736/windows-oem-transfer-computer.html

http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/271529-moving-oem-windows-7-to-new-machine

#6 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,986 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 12:29 PM

Hi Malware Response team,

I get still a black screen on startup.

Disconnect the laptop from the power cord, then remove the battery and press the power button 3 times. Try to start the machine only connected to the power outlet.

Any change? Without the HDD if the machine is working it should show some logo and messages on the screen and most likely some error like system missing or similar.

@maugilar, What do you mean with, need a new license? I cannot use the license code on the back of my Acer Laptop?

If the windows license was provided to you when you bought the machine, its an OEM license that can't be transferred to another machine.

Can i transfer installed programs through the USB method to my Toshiba? For instance microsoft office?

No. you will need the files to install Microsoft Office and your license key. Which version of Office you have?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#7 mrcodix

mrcodix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 01:32 PM

i think it was office 2010, but i dont have the license key im afraid. I hate windows 8.1.... it looks horrible and i hate the inbuilt app store, its like they want to shuff their apps right into my face with it. There is an option to freely upgrade to windows 10 though. Should i upgrade to windows 10? or is it as horrible as windows 8.1

Kind Regards,

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 03:26 PM

Whether you install any version of Windows...is your decision.  No one can make that decision for you...it's your system, you decide.

Louis

#9 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,986 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 03:30 PM

i think it was office 2010, but i dont have the license key im afraid. I hate windows 8.1.... it looks horrible and i hate the inbuilt app store, its like they want to shuff their apps right into my face with it. There is an option to freely upgrade to windows 10 though. Should i upgrade to windows 10? or is it as horrible as windows 8.1

Kind Regards,

If you purchase Office 2010 online from Microsoft I think you can log in with your account and download the product again.

Another option connect the HDD using an USB adapter and try to retrieve your key using Produkey then you will need the install files.

About Windows 8.1, if you don't like it I'm not sure you will like Windows 10! You can upgrade for free and if you don't like Windows 10 you can revert to the actual state with Windows 8.1 during one month.

___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users