Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 . Partitions. Can I undo what has been done

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 JamesBForum

JamesBForum

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 09:56 AM

Hi all, 

Not sure how to easy explain this one. 

Not sure how to load a screen capture here so here is a link to a short video I made showing 

The vids just a cloud server yandex. It should stream ok without the need to dowload. 

Thanks !!

Video link

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 10:06 AM

If you are still running Windows 10 ok, awesome! Just delete the partitions you created and then extend the Windows 10 partition to fill the space that is left over.

I wrote a guide on dual booting Windows 7 or 10 with another OS here

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#3 JamesBForum

JamesBForum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 10:08 AM

Hi thanks for reply. Not sure about extend. I see unallocated space listed. I was thinking of trying to load Linux back into that partition however not sure how to make bootable. Ill have a read of your link : ) 

#4 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 10:10 AM

You can create another partition in unallocated space. My tutorial should handle almost everything you have a question about. :)

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#5 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 10:11 AM

If you already have unallocated space, you can skip step 2. Just sayin'. :)

#6 JamesBForum

JamesBForum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 10:20 AM

Hmmm, 

What I am not sure of is why when I put Linux on the partition before it did not come up as a bootable operating system. If I just put it back on the 

unallocated space just like I did last time will have same issue. Not sure what I did wrong 

Picture of drives

After extension of C: 

Extend

Edited by JamesBForum, 04 August 2015 - 10:23 AM.

#7 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 10:22 AM

Hmmm, 

What I am not sure of is why when I put Linux on the partition before it did not come up as a bootable operating system. If I just put it back on the 

unallocated space just like I did last time will have same issue. Not sure what I did wrong 

Picture of drives

You'll need to set aside about 10 GB of the allocated space for swap and the rest for the Linux OS. If you read the tutorial all the way through, it shows you how to make Linux appear as a choice on a boot menu. :)

#8 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 10:24 AM

You should use the Minitool partition wizard to make the 7.88 GB partition a swap partition for Linux and the 183 GB partition an Ext4 partition (ext4 is to linux like ntfs is to windows). A regular NTFS partition will not work with Linux installed on it.

Edited by gigawert, 04 August 2015 - 10:24 AM.

#9 JamesBForum

JamesBForum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 10:27 AM

Ok. Ive read your post re: dual boot. I guess the question I have is can this be done using a USB . Rather than changing the size of Windows partitions 

#10 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 10:30 AM

Yes the OS can be completely on a USB but it will not perform as well as on an HDD (but if you are not gaming you won't notice the difference). Doing this is called a Linux live USB. I'm not totally sure how to do this, so you'll have to search online.

#11 JamesBForum

JamesBForum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 10:35 AM

E.G 

NEXT

#12 JamesBForum

JamesBForum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 10:37 AM

I did find this ?

http://www.linuxliveusb.com/en/help/guide/preparation

http://www.linuxliveusb.com/en/download

Edited by JamesBForum, 04 August 2015 - 10:38 AM.

#13 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 10:37 AM

I wouldn't recommend shrinking your hard drive's main partition too much or Windows will not work anymore. I would do it on the USB. It has plenty of space for Linux.

#14 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 10:41 AM

That looks like it should work. 

I have to go now, and will be back around 10:30 am in my time zone. I will test out those instructions when I get home. :)

#15 JamesBForum

JamesBForum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 10:42 AM

I think I need Virtual Box to run it from USB, and Windows 10 does not support that yet Grrrrr

Thanks 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users