Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remember Clippy ?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 violetrose

violetrose

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 05:55 AM

Remember Clippy, the horrible little pesky MS assistant and how good it was when it finally disappeared ?

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=microsoft+animated+paperclip+office+assistant&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=643&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CC8QsARqFQoTCMOph8_Fi8cCFSdQpgod3xYMIg&dpr=1#tbm=isch&q=microsoft+animated+paper+clip+office+assistant

Well, now, do we really want Cortana actually chattering at us through our puter speakers ? !

http://www.gadgethelpline.com/cortana-may-coming-microsoft-office-like-new-hopefully-helpful-version-clippy/

No thanks from me  :(

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 01:01 PM

I don't remember Clippy... But it looks pretty creepy.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#3 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 01:34 PM

Clippy now has more functions, and is called Cortana.   :horse:

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,960 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 02:59 PM

Aye, I remember the paperclip.  But I preferred the kitty cat and some of the others, not as an assistant necessarily, but because I enjoyed their antics.

~ OB :cherry:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,721 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 06:17 PM

"I see you are writing a letter. Do you need help?"

Clippy and his stable mates were a proverbial pain in the you know what. First thing I did on setting up MS Office was disable it. Horrible patronising device.

You may have gathered by now that I was not an admirer !

Chris Cosgrove

#6 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 06:19 PM

"I see you are writing a letter. Do you need help?"

Clippy and his stable mates were a proverbial pain in the you know what. First thing I did on setting up MS Office was disable it. Horrible patronising device.

You may have gathered by now that I was not an admirer !

Chris Cosgrove

Wow, who needs help writing letters?  :hysterical:

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#7 violetrose

violetrose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 06 August 2015 - 01:16 AM

"....well, nobody seems to write letters anymore."

http://content.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1991915_1991909_1991755,00.html

So:

:tvhappy:

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,064 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 06 August 2015 - 04:39 PM

(Grabs machine gun)

This time I am ready for you Clippy, and this time its personal!

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#9 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 06 August 2015 - 05:31 PM

He changed his name to Cortana, so no you shoot/talk to him by saying 'Hey Cortana' if you left your Privacy Settings on their defaults.  Apparently some in MSFT plan on rolling out a male voice.  Of course, if you're also male and you prefer a male voice, under Section 3 of the Services agreement maybe MSFT when it listens in, will accuse you of being gay and despite the fact that's not illegal, will shut down your machine.

Just kidding.  Sorta.  Section 3 is real enough, here.  Just told someone about it and he didn't believe me, so I made him find it online himself.  He's still not believing me. Yeah, I'm looking at it and find it unbelievable!

Edited by brainout, 06 August 2015 - 05:32 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#10 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 06 August 2015 - 05:48 PM

Doesn't make sense for Cortana to have a male voice... after all her origin is from a female scientist.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users