Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Performance question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cooldudenz

cooldudenz

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 05:19 AM

Not sure what area to post this but I'm running Win 7 so I'll try here.

I would like to know why my computer dosent use more of its RAMM and CPU, for example

Right now I'm installing a 3GB program, doing nothing else other than firefox been open in the back ground. I have 8GB of RAMM and a 8 core 3.60 Ghz CPU, installing on to C drive which is a solid state drive.

The install is taking ages, there are about 8 compressed files it needs to extract for the installation, but windows task manager says it's using between 4 - 15% CPU and it maxed at 2GB memory (these are the bars on the left under "Performance"), all 8 cores on the graphs never went past or mostly near half way, right now that the install is finished there is more activity on some of those 8 core graphs than while the program was installing.

Why is it that there is another 6GB of memory and 80% CPU free, why isn't it maxing out getting the job done fast, even if it was 50% CPU and 5GB RAMM to allow for other processes, can anyone shead some light on the matter? Is it other parts bottle necking the process or is this normal.

Note, just noticed the "Physical Memory" box futher down. Install is finished and it reads as below, is all my memory been taking up just running the system?

Total           8141

Cached      5948

Available    5976

Free              74

Thanks

Neil

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Firehouse

Firehouse

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 05:33 AM

Can you take a screenshot of performance and processes tab in Task Manager ?

How to

After you're done, attach photo to postimg.org and attach link here.

#3 cooldudenz

cooldudenz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 06:03 AM

No problem,

Performance tab

http://postimg.org/image/uhflu7kv5/

Processes

http://postimg.org/image/rbleh0bdr/

#4 Firehouse

Firehouse

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 06:11 AM

Which program was in question ?

#5 cooldudenz

cooldudenz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 06:38 AM

It was just some design software, but it's not just installing this program today, the questions directed more in general that what ever I'm doing less than quarter the CPU is in use and not much memory, why is there so much potential not been used, like the other 80% of the CPU.

Mainly I was just thinking I spent a lot of money on this PC about a year ago, build from scratch with top end hardware, if anything I have been meaning to add another 8GB RAMM, but I had to wait 20 minutes for it to install some software using 4 - 15% of whats I figure it should be able to do. I want that CPU maxing out lol paid good money for it it should work harder.

Thanks for your interest so far, its 11.30pm here in NZ so I'm going to bed, will check back in tomorrow.

Edited by cooldudenz, 04 August 2015 - 06:39 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users