Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Accessing UK network from abroad

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Madge67

Madge67

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 03:46 AM

Hi everyone,

I hope you can help.

I work from home in the UK as a self employed contractor and use a VPN (citrix) to access the client's network. I use a dedicated thin client provided by the client which doesn't have wifi installed so I have to connect via Ethernet to my router. This all works fine.

The question I have is that I want to be able to work from abroad but with the current set up I wont be able to access the network from a foreign country. Can anyone advise if there is any way round this please. Would a UK VPN router and service be the answer? and if so how do I find one that is going to be robust enough and not drop the speed and connection? I gave up the idea of moving abroad earlier in the year as I didn't think there was any way around this but something is niggling at me, there must be a way!! Please help me fulfil my dream!

Madge

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 05:37 AM

I've never tried doing a double VPN, so I don't know if it would work or not.  You could always give it a try.  It would really depend on how they are checking your computer's location.

Just be sure you're willing to lose your contract, and possibly have legal issues, if you go with this "work around".  There is probably a reason why this system is in place.

#3 sajidali27

sajidali27

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 08:57 AM

When you say "with the current set up I wont be able to access the network from a foreign country", do you mean that your client has a policy that blocks IPs from outside the UK?

If so, you'd have to find a proxy to send the traffic through.

There are plenty of VPN proxy services out there that you can use. Just do a Google for "UK VPN proxy" or something like that or visit http://www.bestvpnprovider.com/uk-vpn. That way you'd be routing your traffic via a UK server to bypass the country IP restriction your client imposes. 

#4 Madge67

Madge67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 09:12 AM

Thanks so much for your replies

I'm not trying to do anything underhand - honest lol although Kilroy's post made me feel a little jittery.

I do deal with very personal customer information and so I can understand their concerns but to be honest for all they know |I could be sitting in the middle of an internet café right now and they would be none the wiser . You scared me Kilroy when you mentioned the legal side. Crikey yes you are right but how would they find out?.  I just need to present a 'get around' to them and convince them I'm a very good girl in terms of security (which I am). Gosh having 2 x VPNs (if it works) will be nigh on impossible to infiltrate. Although I know someone will be on to put me right on that one. Of course it isn't but its better than just one isn't it - surely.

Maybe I'm just living in cloud cuckoo land.

#5 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 10:43 AM

" but with the current set up I wont be able to access the network from a foreign country."

Why do you believe this?  Did someone at the company tell you this?

Reason I ask is most vpn servers are not set to monitor or block a source ip address.

This is not to be confused with blocking outbound destination addresses like the way we block all of China.

Edited by Wand3r3r, 04 August 2015 - 10:43 AM.

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 01:52 PM

also, might I suggest just asking? Instead of saying you're moving, perhaps ask about going on an extended vacation or visiting a sick relative that needs your help and could you take your work with you? or be completely honest, that you are sick of the summers in the UK and you have to escape lol.

Just curious and you don't have to answer, where are you wanting to move?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#7 Madge67

Madge67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 04:17 PM

Wand3r3r - wow I dont know - I just assumed I wouldnt be able to access the network. I mentioned it to the client in a half jokey, half meaning it kind of way and I was met with - ahhhhhhh someone else asked and it wasnt possible.

Cave, Lol I could just go for it and tell them Im going anyway - Surely they wont want to lose their 'star contractor' and it would be in their best interest to allow it (Im kidding honest....about the star contractor) - its Spain by the way

Madge

#8 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 04:33 PM

I would suggest you talk directly to the IT department for a knowledgeable answer.  It would only be a problem if they are blocking Spain's assigned ip address block and I have a really hard time thinking of a reason to do so.

"Would a UK VPN router and service be the answer?"

No vpn router but a vpn service may work.  You would connect from Spain to the vpn service and then you would launch your work vpn service and then logon to Citrix.  You would want to make sure the UK Vpn service supports vpning through their vpn.

#9 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 08:55 PM

I say just ask, the whole point of being a telecommuter is that you can do the job from anywhere. Nothing ventured =) Better than Greece lol 

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#10 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 05 August 2015 - 04:47 PM

The only reasons I mention the "downsides" is that IT puts protections in place for a reason and normally circumventing those protections can result in result in termination.

I am in IT professionally and don't always agree with the blocks put in my way, but I deal with them or look for another job.

Personally I think blocking access from outside the country would be a major pain to set up, especially with the way that IPv4 addresses are being tossed around.

I'll second talking to local IT and seeing what they know.  If access out of country is blocked they should know.  Odds are someone tried and couldn't get it to work.  It may have been as simple as they were trying to go through a hotel network and had to sign into the network before accessing the VPN.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users