Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A REAL BLEEPING problem

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Lloydlec

Lloydlec

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 03:05 AM

Windows10 same problem as windows7 trying to install KB2538242 over and over and over- ANY help? PLEASe it is driving me nuts!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 reckonankit

reckonankit

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 03:12 AM

Its just security update from windows you can try to install manually. Off auto update option in settings and manual update it will be works for you

#3 Lloydlec

Lloydlec
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 03:22 AM

Thanks for the reply. I tried manual install still NOTHING it is a very irretating problem which seems to have to solution :mellow:

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 05:27 AM

Hi Lloydlec :)

When you try to install the update, what error code are you getting?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Lloydlec

Lloydlec
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 12:13 PM

Hi, I do not get an error code is says it is installing but if I check for updates it installes the same thing agsin and again so far it has installed about 20 times HOWEVER it never really installs it just goes round and round. This happened in Windows 7 and I was hoping it was fixed but no chance!

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 12:17 PM

Alright, let's take a look. Follow the instructions below please.

EndqYRa.pngSystem File Checker (SFC)
Follow the instructions below to run a SFC scan on your system and to provide the CBS log in your next reply;
  • On Windows Vista & 7, click on the Windows Start Menu, then enter cmd in the search box, right-click on the cmd icon and select Spcusrh.pngRun as Administrator
  • On Windows 8, drag your cursor in the bottom-left corner, and right-click on the metro menu preview, then select Command Prompt (Admin);
  • On Windows 8.1, right click on the Windows logo in the bottom-left corner and select Command Prompt (Admin);
  • Enter the command below and press on Enter;
    sfc /scannow
    Note: There's a space between "sfc" and "/scannow";
  • Once the scan is complete, enter the command below and press on Enter
    copy %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log "%userprofile%\Desktop\cbs.txt"
  • A file called cbs.txt will have appeared on your Desktop. Upload the file on Dropbox, Google Drive or OneDrive and post the download URL for it here;
Note: Please note that the CBS.log is volatile, which means that if you don't upload it after the SFC scan is completed, it won't contains the information from the scan anymore. So archive it and upload it as soon as you can.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 Lloydlec

Lloydlec
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 12:46 PM

Thanks for the effort!

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=59BBD0F7FD5752D0!105&cid=59BBD0F7FD5752D0&group=0

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 12:54 PM

The CBS.log is clean, let's try a DISM scan.

EndqYRa.pngDISM - Fixing Component Store Corruption
Follow the instructions below to run a DISM scan on your system:
  • On Windows 8, drag your cursor in the bottom-left corner, and right-click on the metro menu preview, then select Command Prompt (Admin);
  • On Windows 8.1, right click on the Windows logo in the bottom-left corner and select Command Prompt (Admin);
  • Enter the command DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and press on Enter;
  • Let the scan run until the end (100%);
  • Copy the C:\Windows\Logs\DISM folder and C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log file on your Desktop, then right-click on it, go to Send to... and select Compressed .zip archive;
  • Upload the file on Dropbox, Google Drive or OneDrive and post the download URL for it here;
Note: Please note that the CBS.log is volatile, which means that if you don't upload it after the SFC scan is completed, it won't contains the information from the scan anymore. So archive it and upload it as soon as you can.

unite_blue.png

#9 Lloydlec

Lloydlec
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 01:54 PM

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=59BBD0F7FD5752D0!105&cid=59BBD0F7FD5752D0&group=0

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 04:49 PM

The DISM log is clean as well. Let's try to get rid of it.

rONW46K.pngUninstall a Windows Update - Command Prompt
Follow the instructions below to uninstall a Windows Update manually via the command prompt.
  • On Windows Vista & 7, click on the Windows Start Menu, then enter cmd in the search box, right-click on the cmd icon and select Run as Administrator
  • Enter the command below (you can copy/paste it, to paste in the command prompt, right-click inside it and select Paste):
    • wusa /uninstall /KB:2538242
  • Let me know the outcome of the command: either it uninstall the update or either it says that the update isn't installed on the system;

unite_blue.png

#11 Lloydlec

Lloydlec
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2015 - 01:29 AM

Get the message- This update is not installed on this computer.

This is not a surprise as it keeps trying to install it!

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2015 - 05:22 AM

Alright, let's see if emptying the Download folder and forcing it to reinstall works.

EndqYRa.pngSoftwareDistribution - Rename
Follow the instructions below to rename the folders in SoftwareDistribution.
  • On Windows Vista & 7, click on the Windows Start Menu, then enter cmd in the search box, right-click on the cmd icon and select Spcusrh.pngRun as Administrator
  • Enter the commands below one at the time (press Enter to send it);
    • net stop wuauserv
    • ren %SystemRoot%\SoftwareDistribution\Download DL.bak
    • net start wuauserv
    • wuauclt.exe /updatenow

unite_blue.png

#13 Lloydlec

Lloydlec
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 01:22 AM

Did all that, Windows 10 installed all the new updates all went well AND then started updating KB2538242 over and over and over again :-( Microsof MUST have a solution for this stupid problem!

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 05:23 AM

Just looked up the KB quickly on Google, and apparently you're not the only user with that issue.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/169668-update-kb2538242-stuck-like-ground-hog-day.html

unite_blue.png

#15 Lloydlec

Lloydlec
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 09:36 AM

It started in Windows 7 has not gone away in Windows 10 I have done all the stuff suggested when searching on Google BEFORE I bothered you guys. It is a real pain and with Windows 10 it just goes on and on and on round and round trying to install something that does not work!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users