Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Workstation Building...HELP PLEASE

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 DanielBW

DanielBW

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 01:04 AM

Hello everyone, a few days ago I decided to build my own PC-workstation. I use some programs for 3D modeling (solidworks, catia, inventor, blender, maya), also for simulations (ANSYS, ADAMS), video editing (Sony vegas, after effects), and audio recording (cubase, omnisphere). So, basing in my budget, I did a research and I selected this items for my PC:

- CPU: i7 4970k LGA-1150
 - GPU: Asus Gtx 980 STRIX OC 4GB 256-bit GDDR5, PCI EXPRESS 3.0

- Mother: Asus ATX B85-PRO GAMER, S-1150, intel B85, 32 GB DDR3

- RAM: Kit Memoria Kingston HyperX FURY Black DDR3, 1600MHz, 16GB (2 x 8GB), Non-ECC, CL10

- HDD: Seagate Desktop HDD 3.5'', 1TB, SATA III, 6 Gbit/s, 7200RPM, 64MB Cache

- SDD: Adata Premier Pro SP600 256GB SATA III 2.5''

This the first time that I am building a PC by my own, I just want to be sure if all the components that I choosed are compatible between them, specially with that motherboard. 

Hope you can help me. Thank you for reading.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 05:41 AM

Are you referring to the 4790k?  I ask because the 4790k is compatible with that motherboard.  You may want to wait for the Intel Skylake processors which are due out soon.  You will also need an operating system, a case, a power supply, and, if needed, an optical drive.

3939.png

#3 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 07:36 AM

Couple thoughts along with DJ's suggestions- The 1TB HD seems kinda small for a graphics workstation.  You may want to also think about getting a NAS for external storage/backup.  The video card is not great as a workstation card, you may want to look at Nvidia's quadro line  

They are designed for workstation environments.

#4 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 09:45 AM

@DanielBW : You should put together a partslist on PCPartPicker to verify that the parts are compatible with each other.

Other than that, your build looks good!

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 10:05 AM

The software you are going to be using has recommendations.  Probably best to check them out before buying.

https://www.solidworks.com/sw/support/SystemRequirements.html

http://www.3ds.com/support/certified-hardware/

etc.

Most of the certified GPU's for example are Nvidia Quadro or AMD FirePro series.

Edited by jonuk76, 04 August 2015 - 10:06 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 10:07 AM

The software you are going to be using has recommendations.  Probably best to check them out before buying.

etc.

Most of the certified GPU's for example are Nvidia Quadro or AMD FirePro series.

Yes, the GTX 980 is more for gaming but if it is in their budget and they can't afford a Quadro or FirePro, then the GTX should be fine.

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#7 DanielBW

DanielBW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 07:02 PM

Hey guys thank you all for your replies.

Couple thoughts along with DJ's suggestions- The 1TB HD seems kinda small for a graphics workstation.  You may want to also think about getting a NAS for external storage/backup.  The video card is not great as a workstation card, you may want to look at Nvidia's quadro line  

They are designed for workstation environments.

etc.

Yeah I know Quadro line video cards are better for the kind of software that I'll be using on this PC, but my budget only allows me to get a Quadro k2200, and I read in some reviews that there's no big difference by using a Quadro k2200 instead of GTX 970, also 970 has better specs that Quadro, that's the reason why I decided the GTX. I wish to have enough money to get Quadro k4200 but right now that's impossible to me.

Are you referring to the 4790k?  I ask because the 4790k is compatible with that motherboard.  You may want to wait for the Intel Skylake processors which are due out soon.  You will also need an operating system, a case, a power supply, and, if needed, an optical drive.

Hey !! yeah i7 4790k is perfect for my budget, that's why I choosed, and by the way this is the rest of my items selected:

- Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 B2 Power Supply 80-PLUS Bronze, 850W

- Case: NZXT S340, Midi-Tower, ATX/micro-ATX/mini-ITX, 2x 1 1,251.72 1,251.7 USB 3.0, no Power Supply, Black.

- Optical device: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD-R 24x / CD-RW 40x, SATA, 1 307.76 307.76 Internal

I think that's all. 

#8 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 07:09 PM

Perfect! According to PCPartpicker, you will need to do a BIOS update for this build (not sure what it means though).

#9 DanielBW

DanielBW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 07:22 PM

Perfect! According to PCPartpicker, you will need to do a BIOS update for this build (not sure what it means though).

hmm ohh I'm seeing right now that warning:  "Some Intel B85 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Haswell Refresh CPUs. " I dont know what that means.... you think I should look for a different motherboard?

Edited by DanielBW, 04 August 2015 - 07:22 PM.

#10 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 07:27 PM

If you don't want to go through the hassle of updating the BIOS then you probably should.

#11 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 11:43 PM

hmm ohh I'm seeing right now that warning:  "Some Intel B85 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Haswell Refresh CPUs. " I dont know what that means.... you think I should look for a different motherboard?

I can help out with what that means.

Motherboards, internally, have a list of CPUs they're compatible with. If a CPU, even though it may be 100% physically compatible, is installed and it's not on that list. Then most motherboard will refuse to boot or turn on at all to protect its self.

Got that much?

Now. When Intel released motherboards with the 1150 socket, they only planned on making one run of compatible chips. They sent out the names to the board manufactures, and the names were put into the boards to read off.

However, the chips gained the reputation of being notoriously bad for overheating. People were avoiding buying the series for any kind of overclocking and Intel lost out on sales because of it.

OK now, part 3.

To fix this. Intel re-released updated versions of some of the chips with much better heat dissipation and a higher clock speed at same rated TDP to prove that they were indeed being cooled better. However, these chips weren't in that initial list of "ok to use" CPUs on motherboards. Motherboard manufacturers released updates to put them on that list, and new boards that were being shipped out had the list pre-updated. 

Part 4.

With the release of the updated CPUs. Intel released updated chip sets for motherboards using the same 1150 socket.  Since none of these boards could have possibly been made before that CPU list was updated, all boards using the chips were guaranteed compatible out of the box with them. These chip sets included the H97 chipset and Z97 chipset. The first meant for everyday use and the 2nd meant for overclocking. 

Edited by SEANIA, 04 August 2015 - 11:45 PM.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#12 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2015 - 12:01 AM

Yeah I know Quadro line video cards are better for the kind of software that I'll be using on this PC, but my budget only allows me to get a Quadro k2200, and I read in some reviews that there's no big difference by using a Quadro k2200 instead of GTX 970, also 970 has better specs that Quadro, that's the reason why I decided the GTX. I wish to have enough money to get Quadro k4200 but right now that's impossible to me.

Nvidia either disables or seriously hampers almost all the special features that professional software uses on their consumer cards, IE the 970. The 970 is, in reality, almost three times faster then the K2200. 

You should check to see if your software is compatible with the 970. There is a good chance it isn't and you'd be wasting your money by buying a card for more power that you can't use. Granted some software makers release their own custom drivers to force them to be compatible. For a fact I know blender can't use GPU compute power in rendering. I can bet a good chunk of the other programs are like this to as it takes a lot of development time on the software creators end to make their stuff GPU compatible.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users