Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suddenly lose internet connection at random times

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sjnew

sjnew

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 12:40 AM

I'm having an unusual problem with my computer. At random intervals I will lose my connection to the internet for several minutes. Then it will come back like nothing happened.

When this happens, the Windows Network & Sharing Center shows that my connection is fine, and when I run troubleshooters they don't find any problems, even though I can't get online. It's not the browser; I try both Firefox and Chrome, but neither will work when this issue crops up.

Some days it doesn't happen at all, and some days it happens several times in one day.

My computer is running Windows 7, and I am using a wired connection (ethernet cable) to connect to my router. There are three other computers on the same network, connected to the same router (one wired, two wireless), and they don't have this problem. I got this computer a few months ago to replace an old one, and the old one (connected with the same cable to the same router) didn't have this problem either.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 01:32 AM

:welcome: to Bleeping Computer Community sjnew :)

At random intervals I will lose my connection to the internet for several minutes.

My computer is running Windows 7, and I am using a wired connection (ethernet cable) to connect to my router.

The first thing to verify is if you loose internet connection is check the LAN port (led light) of the router from where your computer is connected. Or vice-versa, the LAN or Ethernet port of your desktop. There are signal lights indicator showing that it is connected (illuminating) or none if not. Try a different cable or reseat properly just in case also as a test.

Tekken

#3 sjnew

sjnew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 05:21 PM

Thanks for responding!

I did as you said and tried a different cable and checked the lights. The lights appear to be on in both cases.

I ran a different troubleshooter, the Network Adapter troubleshooter, and I got this error:

Your computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device or resource (DNS server) is not responding)

I googled this, and it appears this may be the cause of the problem. I used the

ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

commands, so maybe that will fix it. I will update this thread if I have the problem again.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 05 August 2015 - 12:16 AM

Glad you were able to fix it and hope it would stay that way. :thumbup2:

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users