Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

question...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 626 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 03 August 2015 - 11:17 PM

Thinking out loud again. 
Before you reply... 
not long ago I started a topic asking questions about upgrading and there was someone that was a bit rude.  Some people can feel they know EVERYTHING about computers and do not appreciate it when you question it, at all... 
I appreciate any and all help I get here but I can't always handle people that don't know how to deal with people.    I'd like to keep this simple... yes or no type answers...  I don't NEED anything here, don't need a new computer... just, kind of wondering about some things.
I was told last time I'd need to spend $500-$600 minimum to build my own.    I don't buy that for a minute...  whether I'm right or wrong in my thinking, I don't need anyone bullying me about this stuff.  I'm a curious person that questions EVERYTHING I don't know... and can use a little understanding.  :)

BUT... I realize that my budget limits the possibilities drastically...

So.....
I had been thinking about upgrading a bunch of things to FEEL like I was getting a new computer.  I ended up spending just a hair over $100 to get some new memory and a new hdd.   I'm happy with that decision.
But, I got to daydreaming again...  :rolleyes:

I'm wondering if I could get a new mb and cpu to improve things a  bit more...  Things are very limited... I'm looking at pc part picker to get ideas, putting in the details that I know I have or would have to see what my options are... limiting them by price, etc...  But, the processors I end up with are around the same speed as what I have and I don't know enough about them all to know if what kind of upgrades I consider in my current price range... well, maybe I'd be throwing my money away... 

What I have now is a Dell Inspiron 560.

Operating System
			Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
		CPU
			Intel Pentium E5700 @ 3.00GHz	44 °C
			Wolfdale 45nm Technology
		RAM
			4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 398MHz (6-6-6-15)
		Motherboard
			Dell Inc. 018D1Y (CPU 1)	39 °C
		Graphics
			DELL IN2020M (1600x900@60Hz)
			Intel G45/G43 Express Chipset
			Intel G45/G43 Express Chipset
		Hard Drives
			466GB Seagate ST3500418AS (SATA)	39 °C
		Optical Drives
			Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-7250H
		Audio
			Realtek High Definition Audio

300 watt power supply that I figure I could continue to use which would also help to limit my options...
Not installed yet, my new hdd is actually going to be 1TB(though it will use a little less power) and 8gb of memory that I'm still waiting on.

>>This is the current mb<<
micro atx, which I assume is about all this particular tower would hold, so there's a limitation on mb options.

So, I was looking at the pc part picker site and looking at mb that fit that and were compatible with the hdd and ram...  and then organizing them by price... lowest first.  Chose one or two that looked okay and then looked at cpu's as well, and when I do...  All of the cheaper cpu's are dual core and around 3.0 ghz... which is what I already have.
I don't know the technology to know if I could get an improvement for little money, especially when it looks like what I'd be looking at would be similar to what I already have... know what I mean?
my current cpu is

Pentium® Dual-Core CPU E5700 @ 3.00GHz

Sorry this is SO long... please be patient with me.  :)
I would not want to spend much more than $100 total for a mb and cpu.  I think I can talk my wife into it if I could find something worthwhile and compatible in that range...  maybe JUST a bit over... 
Any chance I'd see an improvement?  I dream... a lot...  :rolleyes:

Worth looking into at all or, just wait another year or two and see if I can magically come up with the money for something nicer?  :P

Regardless of whether or not that could work out...
IF it could...  As long as I reinstalled windows, I wouldn't have any issues changing that much hardware with the windows license would I?

And slightly related...  I never thought of this til recently... my monitor has a DVI connection...  I looked it up and it seems it's supposed to be better than the standard vga connection the monitor is currently using.  Is it REALLY better?  Worth buying a DVI cable?  I THINK my mb doesn't have the dvi but they make a cable to connect hdmi to dvi...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 08:00 AM

You can't get away with ' reinstalling windows' once you change out the motherboard- Windows' installations are tied to the motherboard and unless you have your own copy of windows (not OEM like dell) you can't just upgrade the motherboard and reinstall windows.  You would need a new copy of windows.  Trying to spend around 100 for a motherboard and cpu upgrade from what you have would probably be in the I5 range for a (significant) improvement.  I just don't see that happening for 100 bills.  The processor itself is (cheapest) is 166.00 so that breaks your 100 mark.  So at least you'd need about 300.  100 for the OS.. 166 for the processor and then try to find an inexpensive motherboard that has the features you wan/need and will hopefully be compatible with the RAM you have.  If it were me I'd want new memory to go with my new motherboard. The ASROCK B85 Anniversary is a good board (not great) but works.

#3 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 626 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 06:21 PM

So, IF someone got a new mb, they couldn't reinstall using the old key?  That stinks.    What would happen to someone if their mb broke? 

Thanks for the info...  yeah, that's too much for my wallet...  I know when you build a pc you can get better stuff than just buying a machine at the store... but, man...  you can buy one at the store all put together for less than building one yourself it seems.  Maybe some day I'll have money... publishers clearing house or something... ha...  then I can build one.
For now I guess I'll be happy with the new hdd and new ram I got for my current pc.

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 09:46 PM

Well .. lets be honest here.. Your wanting a significant upgrade on a computer whose processor is at least 165.00 .. so your saying you can buy a brand new computer for under 100.00?  I don't think so.  In my opinion even 300 to 500 is pushing it for a complete system without a 'good' video card.  I don't know what line of work your in but even the lowest paid individuals I know can save up 50 dollars a month.  I am not trying to put you on the spot here I am simply pointing out being realistic.

#5 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 626 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 10:09 PM

1.  Your wanting a significant upgrade on a computer whose processor is at least 165.00 ..

2.  so your saying you can buy a brand new computer for under 100.00?  I don't think so. 

3.  In my opinion even 300 to 500 is pushing it for a complete system without a 'good' video card. 

4.  I don't know what line of work your in but even the lowest paid individuals I know can save up 50 dollars a month. 

1.  My pc is about 5 years old...  you think the processor in mine is $165? 

2.  I did not say that at all...

you can buy one at the store all put together for less than building one yourself it seems.

Was just a generalization...  store bought computers are cheaper, it seems.  You'd think putting all the effort into building one yourself, you could save some money.  I just find it interesting how much it costs to build one yourself... WHOLE computer...  When I troubleshoot and fix issues with my van, I save a LOT of money...  built my own chicken pens... saved a TON of money...  Seems you should see decent savings building a pc yourself.

3.  without a good video card, you can find LOTS of pc's in this range...  the only problem is that it seems that technology (For THAT price range) has not improved a whole lot in the last 5 years.  In that price range I'm finding same sized hdd's and memory, etc.  At any rate, you CAN get a computer in that range but, the advice on building one yourself (at least to be better than what I already have) is that it requires significantly more money than that.
4.  I'm a stay at home dad...  my wife does not get paid very much... we technically have the money now where I could go put together something fairly decent...  BUT...  we can't have more money going out each month than is coming in...  we're technically quite poor...  and, we have a LOT of more important things to save up for.  :(    quite a list actually.
But, I can't justify buying or building a new pc to my wife currently.  It would be irresponsible of me really, considering I CAN get by with what I have.  I can dream for now.

Keep in mind with all of this... I'm not approaching upgrades and building from the standpoint of a computer geek.  I don't need to overclock, have all the latest technology, etc etc... 
In MY dreaming, I just want something faster than what I have.
But again, that looks like it's not something I can just invest a little bit in to get much if ANY results... 
So again, I'll wait. 

I get to dreaming and, I don't keep up with all of this stuff... don't know the different kinds of processors, etc, are out there...  So, I ask questions rather than just think to myself "hey, I could go buy a few new parts and surely it would be better..."

At any rate... thanks for taking the time to answer some questions.  If I come across some money some day or something, I'll get more serious about building something.
:)

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2015 - 06:11 PM

Upgrading a manufactured machine is normally very limited.

As YeahBleeping pointed out you would need to purchase a Windows license if you put in a new motherboard which would completely eat up your $100 budget.  If someone's motherboard went bad and it was replaced with the same board from the manufacturer you could use the restore disks for the machine as the required information to activate Windows is on the motherboard.

You would have been better off taking the $200 and putting it towards a new machine.  The advice to spend the $100 on the RAM and drive was good for what you were asking to accomplish.

Edited by hamluis, 22 August 2015 - 12:59 PM.

#7 diggi

diggi

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 16 August 2015 - 07:07 AM

Best and cheapest option is get more ram and install an ssd eg samsung evo 250 it will feel like a new 'puter

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2015 - 01:02 PM

One other option I don't see mentioned...there are (IMO) a lot of good Dell refurbs available that have Win 7 installed with valid license and which are good systems that are available reasonably at places like Amazon.  Such would provide the sense of a "new system" without necessarily entailing the cash expenditure that a brand new system would involve...worth a look, IMO.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users