Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I talk to my SO about linux?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ubiq

Ubiq

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 03 August 2015 - 10:49 PM

Linux is just beyond mystifying to him. For some reason, he thinks Windows 10 is "free" and that linux is something very elite. :rolleyes:  He just doesn't understand why I want to switch my home setup to linux. I'm never going to get him to read in depth articles about the privacy benefits that come with using linux, even though I think he would be persuaded quite easily by the same arguments that persuaded me. Does anyone have a link to a quick and easy video that can help him get it?
Should I give up the idea of sharing a home machine, dual booted, and buy him his own??
Thank you for any advice. :flowers:

Machine: Toshiba Portege r705-P41, Dual Boot: MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; Ubuntu 15.04
CPU: Intel Core i5 460M @ 2.53GHz Arrandale 32nm Technology,
RAM: 4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz (7-7-7-20), Motherboard: TOSHIBA Portable PC (rBGA1288 Socket)
Video Card: Intel HD Graphics Revision 2 1720 MBytes

Speccy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 497 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 03:39 AM

I'd just get a new disk/ssd for your machine, pick a distribution that is designed to be user friendly, install and set him up an account.  Chrome/Firefox for web browsing, Thunderbird for email, LibreOffice for wordprocessing, office stuff, etc.  Windows applications that are "must have" are the only thing that gets in the way (games, business applications, etc).

Or get a second machine and point him to the "Help I think I'm infected" and "Malware/virus removal" forums here.

FreeBSD since 3.3, only time I touch Windows is to fix my wife's computer

#3 Ubiq

Ubiq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 02:34 PM

Well, mremski, thank you! :flowers:  I wish that would work, but I think it would just traumatize him. :lol:

He really doesn't even want to choose between windows and ubuntu at startup, which was my original plan for my setup and all I ever wanted him to do. Now I'm thinking two separate computers or putting linux on a big external usb drive that I can keep out of his sight when he's on my computer. That way the scary computer can't get him. It's weird because he's much better with computers than me. He knows html, for example, and edits his work website. Personally, I think he's had bad interactions with company computer guys when they've been servicing work servers. Like, I think he's confusing linux server software and linux desktops. Also, it feel "work-ish" to him. It's exhausting for him to even glimpse it over my shoulder.

He is upset about proprietary software and privacy issues, however. He recently ditched Facebook, which was a big deal for him, so I think the idea of privacy appeals to him. Hopefully, I'll find that little video someday that will explain some of this to him and make him more trusting of linux.

Machine: Toshiba Portege r705-P41, Dual Boot: MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; Ubuntu 15.04
CPU: Intel Core i5 460M @ 2.53GHz Arrandale 32nm Technology,
RAM: 4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz (7-7-7-20), Motherboard: TOSHIBA Portable PC (rBGA1288 Socket)
Video Card: Intel HD Graphics Revision 2 1720 MBytes

Speccy

#4 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 497 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2015 - 03:52 AM

It doesn't take all that much to run Linux;  my experience has been that if you take the computer you are running Windows on now, and simply put Linux on it, it runs a lot faster (or at least feels that way).  An external USB drive;  that would work, but I think I'd opt for a second hard drive/ssd, dual boot with Windows (defaulting to Windows).  That way worst case if it's in Linux and he want's to use Windows you make him ask "Honey, could you please boot the computer back to Windows?"

Good luck in the quest;  don't gloat too much when you can say "See, that wasn't that bad, was it?" to him.

FreeBSD since 3.3, only time I touch Windows is to fix my wife's computer

#5 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 05 August 2015 - 06:31 AM

@Ubiq, I have a similar problem, but with my business partner.  I'm thinking of just making a customized Linux stick and sending it to him, telling him to plug it in.  He has trouble remembering what a mouse is.  So it needs to be 1-2-3:  plug in stick, turn on machine, click on lower left corner for menu, with icons on the desktop (horrors for many) that are like he'd see in Windows 7 or XP.  Mint lets me wholly customize the menu, so I might do that, too.  Set up channels in the browser, have my admin account plus one in his name, so he can't wreck anything, basic functions like copy and move and make DVDs (which Windows still doesn't get right), pre-configured with MS Office 2003 and Plus! to make the Windows colors and fonts attractive (wine makes them default gray).  So that he weans off Windows usage directly, but slowly, at his own pace.

Problem is, that's a lot of work for me. I just lost a month due to Win10's rollout: had to test, would it be faster and safer for filing tax returns online or not, only to find out there are a lot of EULA gotchas.  For the US Government, much still has to operate on Windows, esp. XP.

So for you, the hassle of what you must do, versus what benefits?  Seems like that should be THE criterion, before you ask how do you convince.  For how, is by demo. But crafting that demo, takes time.

Then there are the typical turnoffs and questions.  BIG turnoffs are the jargon, the holier-than-thou, the constant battle of permissions.  These three things are Linux of the past (three+ years prior), and we think that's how it is, still.  That Linux is all geeky language and oh how proud the geeks are of Linux and how they look down at Windows users and once you're in it, you're guilty until presumed innocent, having to give your permission all the time, even after being signed in as admin.  It's not easy going from a drive letter and name, to 'sda1' and 'media' as a folder where the drive names are stored, to know stuff like 'mount'  and 'home' and etc fstab bash and all those words which frankly look like gibberish to the uninitiated.  We left DOS, and don't want to go back to terminals.

Parallel to how when someone enters a new faith, or is considering changing faith, he's hit with all the arguments, vocabulary, everyone trying to be helpful but appearing to proselytize, etc.

So a demo 'hi here's what Linux does' live onscreen, is my option.  If I can get my business partner to know how to click on the play button.    :idea:

Edited by brainout, 05 August 2015 - 06:41 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users