Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thread for reasons users get banned? Rule questions.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 03 August 2015 - 09:58 PM

Is there a ban thread that lists off recently banned users and sites the rule they broke? 

Numbering the forum rules would make them easier to site, as they're currently bullet points. 

It's mostly just curiosity. 

Also have a few questions about specific rules. 

"Pictures may be posted as long as they are not explicit, offensive, or copyrighted."

Does that include images with watermarks?

"Advertisements, of any sort, are not permitted. This includes member names and links to commercial sites in Signatures, or in posts."

Are any merchant site links are considered advertising, or am I broadening the term to much and it only applies to blatant advertising use of those links. 

"There will be no  use of profanity on our message boards. "

There is a auto filter on the site to bleep out profanity. Is the rule applied just to people who try to get around the filter, or is a excessive, or sparse, spotting of bleeps in your post bad enough.

"Links in your signature must be unobtrusive and can not use formatting so that attention is brought to them."

Though I don't put links in my signatures, is there any preferred way to make them as unobtrusive as possible. Assuming all the guide lines surrounding it are already fulfilled that is. Much like computer cases, I dislike flashy signatures and would like mine to be as faint as possible. Like the legal text in a commercial for prescription drugs.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 01:09 AM

Hi SEANIA,

Is there a ban thread that lists off recently banned users and sites the rule they broke?

No, and this isn't something we will be doing. With the exception of spammers, bans at Bleeping Computer are only implemented as a last resort after many issues and attempts by staff to reach resolution, or for especially egregious offenses. In any event, the reasons behind a ban are between the member in question and the mod/admin staff of the forums. We don't believe in shaming or hanging out bodies. In all honesty, you aren't going to get yourself banned here if you are respectful to all others, follow the direction of the mods, and use common sense. Bans aren't handed out at BC; they are well and truly earned. So I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I'd be happy to help clarify the rules for you, but I should point out that in some cases, staff may have to make a judgment call on a gray area. In such cases where we decide something is not appropriate, please feel free to ask us how you could change your post/image/topic/etc to make it fall within the guidelines and we will help you. The point of these rules is to preserve the spirit of this community and not to censor ideas or discussion.

"Pictures may be posted as long as they are not explicit, offensive, or copyrighted."

Does that include images with watermarks?

Rather than try and dive into nitpicking here, I would simply advise that you not use an image if you aren't sure you can use it. If someone has gone to the trouble of watermarking an image it would be prudent for you to get their permission before using it.

"Advertisements, of any sort, are not permitted. This includes member names and links to commercial sites in Signatures, or in posts."
Are any merchant site links are considered advertising, or am I broadening the term to much and it only applies to blatant advertising use of those links.

The point of this rule is to prevent the spamming of ads or affiliate links. A link to a specific product in the context of an honest discussion about that product is fine. "Hey look at this cool thing I found; you should go buy it <link>" is not. It all boils down to apparent intent.

"There will be no use of profanity on our message boards. "

There is a auto filter on the site to bleep out profanity. Is the rule applied just to people who try to get around the filter, or is a excessive, or sparse, spotting of bleeps in your post bad enough.

It's been applied both ways in the past. Making attempts to get around the filter will get you unwanted attention very quickly. . . but at the same time keep in mind that we try to keep the atmosphere around here PG-13 or lower. There are a lot of places you can go and swear up and down all you like. There's no need to do it here.

"Links in your signature must be unobtrusive and can not use formatting so that attention is brought to them."

Though I don't put links in my signatures, is there any preferred way to make them as unobtrusive as possible. Assuming all the guide lines surrounding it are already fulfilled that is. Much like computer cases, I dislike flashy signatures and would like mine to be as faint as possible. Like the legal text in a commercial for prescription drugs.

When it comes to signatures, I use a simple test. "Does this signature distract me from reading a topic or make it more difficult to read?" If so then in most cases there's an issue.

Hope that helps,

~Blade

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#3 SEANIA

SEANIA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 04:43 AM

Thank you ^_^ 

You cleared up a lot for me. 

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users