Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

leaving desktop on carpet OK?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sniper8752

sniper8752

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 03 August 2015 - 09:00 PM

I noticed on the bottom of my desktop, there is an opening for airflow.  I am guessing it helps to dissipate the heat from the power supply?  Is it okay to stand the desktop up, or should I keep it on its side if I am going to keep it on a carpet?  Or does it even really matter?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 03 August 2015 - 09:04 PM

My desktop is on a carpet and it is fine. My case has tiny little legs that raise it a few millimeters and there is an opening on the bottom, covered with some kind of dust screen. It's been sitting there for 8 months and it's doing OK. Just had to dust it once in all that time.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#3 IWant2Help

IWant2Help

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 11:49 AM

If it has feet that raise it so it has unrestricted airflow then its fine.

Otherwise TAKE IT OFF THE CARPET.
If the PSU gets too hot it might fail and catch the carpet on fire.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 05:03 PM

I've had computers on carpeting since 1996...no problems.  My cases all have air vents front/back, none on bottom...my PSUs are upper mounts..

If your PSU is on the bottom of the case...you obviously need some air flow into the PSU fan...as long as that happens, the system should be good.

Louis

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,804 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 05 August 2015 - 03:23 PM

Many of the units I've serviced that were setting on carpet/tile/hardwood floors had an influx of carpet fuzz along with the normal helping of dust and dirt.  Filters are a must if cleaning isn't regular.  Note needs to be taken to keep track of temperatures as they will be the first indicator of fan overload from blocked vents and intake areas.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users