Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Clean" install on SDD, Keep HDD intact

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jonnyray

jonnyray

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 03 August 2015 - 07:22 PM

I've looked all over for this specific answer, so forgive me if I'm missing it. I have win7 and am going to install win10 from usb. I currently have my OS on my SDD and all my docs,prog files,ect on HDD. Ive read a clean install is best for win10. My question is, can I delete all the SDD OS partitions during install, select install on the SDD while leaving my HDD completely intact? If so, what option would I select to get to the formatting partition screen without it automatically erasing my HDD files?

Thanks in advance!

PS My last activity on this website was a year or so ago when I decided to sell my ps4 and build a pc. You guys helped me so much, and it was the best tech decision of my life. This site really is the best!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,610 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2015 - 07:58 PM

Hi jonnyray :)

You won't be able to clean install Windows 10 right away. If you didn't upgrade to it yet, you'll have to upgrade first, and then clean install it (which means a reinstall). Reason is that the product key won't be accepted otherwise.

To answer your questions, yes it's possible to wipe the whole SSD only during the installation. It can be done by bringing up the command prompt (via Shift + F10) and using the diskpart utility. From there, you'll use the list disk command to identify your SSD, and then use select disk X where X will be your SSD's number in the list disk output. Finally, enter the clean command to format it completely, and exit. Then you simply have to select your SSD as the desired location of the Windows 10 installation and the rest will be done automatically.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 jonnyray

jonnyray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2015 - 08:03 PM

Awesome! Thank you. So, just go through the "upgrade" procedure? At what point would I cmd promt to clean SDD. Also, if I am going through the upgrade proces anyway, is it even worth it to clean the SDD as opposed to keeping it, then maybe just erasing the old.windows folder after I know win10 is working properly?

Thanks again!!!

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,610 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2015 - 08:04 PM

It's really up to you. If you upgrade to Windows 10, you can decide to either keep all your files and programs, or not. If you choose the later, it'll be pretty close to a "clean installation" if you ask me. Also, you can delete the windows.old folder after the upgrade, it's just that by doing so, you won't be able to restore to the Windows version you upgraded from if you ever decide to.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 jonnyray

jonnyray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2015 - 08:06 PM

You are awesome. Thank you so much, and keep fighting the good fight!

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,610 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2015 - 08:06 PM

No problem, you're welcome :)

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users