Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

[RANT] Blogger EU Notice Requirements

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 August 2015 - 04:07 PM

I have a few free blogger blogs, and in the last while when I login I get this huge warning message, there are also posting on the Google forums, and they have an article about it.

European Union laws require you to give European Union visitors information about cookies used on your blog. In many cases, these laws also require you to obtain consent.

As a courtesy, we have added a notice on your blog to explain Google's use of certain Blogger and Google cookies, including use of Google Analytics and AdSense cookies.

You are responsible for confirming this notice actually works for your blog, and that it displays. If you employ other cookies, for example by adding third party features, this notice may not work for you. Learn more about this notice and your responsibilities.

Apparently the EU now requires sites to warn users about cookies, and collection of personal information. Google, appears to require all blogs to comply with this, regardless of which country the blog owner is from. That'll teach me for using Blogger. Google says they've added an appropriate message to all blogs, but if you're using a custom template it might not show, and regardless of custom template use or not, it is the blog owner's responsibility to make sure that a warning message is displayed.

Personally, I was using a custom template, but I deleted it, and started using a blogger one. Currently, even when browsing my blogs with a proxy/vpn giving me an EU ip no message appears to show, unless I disable my custom domain, GRRR. I am considering deleting my blogs, I've already deleted 1, because I hate dealing with this kind of stuff. It's not a huge deal for me since I have plain-text backups of all my important posts, but it's still bit irritating.

So that's my little rant. Anyone else ticked about this?

When replying, please bear in mind this is not meant to be a discussion of the benefits of having webmasters disclose what personal information they collect, or their use of cookies, it's meant to be a place for those affected by Google's policy to blow off some steam.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 O.T.T.

O.T.T.

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 05:52 PM

You mean this :

rk6FRDe.png

I'm used to it, many sites had that before Google made it important...

I see it as a security risk, an ideal way for malware-writers to make a fake one !

PS: Can I sue you and get rich if I visit your blog and it doesn't appear ?  :whistle:

OTT

Please ask Google why some of my links don't work anymore !

#3 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 August 2015 - 04:11 PM

You mean this :

Yup.

Can I sue you and get rich if I visit your blog and it doesn't appear ?

I don't know how rich you'd get, I'm fairly poor, but yes, it could mean trouble for me if the wrong person visited my sites.

Ultimately I've decided to ditch my blogs. I've already started posting stuff elsewhere. My domain is disabled, just need to click the delete buttons in my Blogger account.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users