Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sharing Folders With Password

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 alanbr00

alanbr00

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 03 August 2015 - 02:58 PM

Hi, i'm trying to share files on my LAN, but i wanna set passwords on some folders, Windows permissions is not what i'm looking for. I have found a software the does exactly what i'm looking, but it cost $99. I will post the name only to demonstrate what i'm asking. "Shared folder protector".

Anyone knows how to do that thru Windows Server? Or Even thru a free software.

Thanks to all.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 09 August 2015 - 03:41 PM

This is probably not the answer you are looking for, but you can set the NTFS security preferences on files and folders so that only certain security groups or users can open and access them. While the folder itself is not password protected, the user will have to be logged in with their domain credentials and have the proper permissions.

If the folder is shared, you can also set user access permissions on it. Basically, you will need to disable auto logon to access shared folders. Right click on the shared folder and select Properties. From the Sharing tab, select permissions. Remove Everyone, and add the users/groups you want to have access. With a combination of NTFS and sharing permissions, you can lock down folders fairly tightly.

If you want to add another layer of authentication to that, you'll probably need some sort of third-party solution. Or -- and this isn't very elegant -- you could create secondary user accounts for users and set the share permissions for only those secondary accounts. Users would then be prompted to enter another username and password to access it. But in either case, users will have to remember another set of credentials.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users