Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Media Server Problem

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 SmokeViper07

SmokeViper07

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 03 August 2015 - 02:15 PM

Hi,

I am currently having an issue with my Linux Server. I have installed webmin so I can create samba shares and everything but when I try to navigate to webmin via my browser it says:

"There is a problem with this website's security certificate.

The security certificate presented by this website is not secure.

Security certificate problems may indicate an attempt to fool you or intercept any data you send to the server."

I am unable to log in to finish configuring everything for my media server.

I have tried reinstalling webmin to the most updated version and rebooting the server with no avail.

I have also tried navigating to it via IP rather than hostname and get the same message.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: Also, if I try to navigate to the webmin panel using http instead of https it just gives a "Server not Found" or "Page cannot be Displayed" error.

Edited by SmokeViper07, 03 August 2015 - 03:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 03 August 2015 - 04:34 PM

Usually with certificate errors you have the choice of proceeding at your own risk.  Is this not a option?

Server not found indicates no web server is loaded.

#3 SmokeViper07

SmokeViper07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2015 - 04:45 PM

Yes I am unable to take the option to proceed at my own risk. If it helps any I'm using firefox and IE to test it. I installed webmin and have it working in the past..

#4 SmokeViper07

SmokeViper07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2015 - 11:22 AM

BUMPING -- Still stuck with this problem.

#5 SmokeViper07

SmokeViper07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2015 - 09:21 AM

BUMPING -- Still Stuck, anyone have suggestions? Do I just need to fresh install all over?

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2015 - 02:12 PM

What flavor of Linux are you talking about? And have you looked in the Linux section of the forums for an answer? Because it seems to be a networking problem, it is in fact a problem on your server not giving the proper cert out.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#7 SmokeViper07

SmokeViper07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2015 - 03:39 PM

I am using Ubuntu Server 14.04 LTS 64 bit. I haven't tried in the Linux section yet as it seemed to be more related to the web as you mentioned unless I'm missing something.

#8 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2015 - 08:24 PM

Looking at installing webmin it says "The first time you launch Webmin your browser will likely complain about the certificate for this site so just add the site as an exception, or choose "Continue to this website (not recommended)" to continue." For reference

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#9 SmokeViper07

SmokeViper07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 03:53 AM

Yeah but for some reason it hasn't been giving me that option. I will try again though and update you.

#10 SmokeViper07

SmokeViper07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 08:59 PM

So after hooking it back up and trying again, I still was having the same issue and recalled that normally I get the option to continue in Chrome, and I was using firefox and Edge currently. I installed chrome and was able to log into Webmin fine. Thanks for the suggestions.

#11 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 22 August 2015 - 06:42 PM

unfortunately that indicates a problem with your workstation. be careful what you do on the internet until you have scanned everything

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users