Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Screen Going Haywire

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ThePie69

ThePie69

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 03 August 2015 - 12:37 PM

So I have a HP DV6-T Quad Custom Edition laptop and its done this a few times before but ever since I installed Win 10 its being doing this a lot.

The issue is as you can see via the image below is that the screen will randomly start displaying a bunch of different lines and colors. I'm not sure if there is a technical name for what is happening here. I did update to the AMD 15.7 Win 10 driver yesterday and its still having the same issue.

20150803_122902.jpg

These are my display adapters that are installed in the laptop. It has the HP Intel/AMD switchable graphics.

Capture.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 05 August 2015 - 08:57 AM

First, OEM's like HP make modifications to the drivers on a system in order to make the dual graphics cards work well together.

As such you should only use the HP video drivers.

On my Samsung laptop I have broken my video because of this and am unable to fix it without a full reinstall (I can't find the settings that control this).

In my case the AMD driver must be signed by Intel in order to work with the Samsung (and Intel) graphics drivers.

I would first suggest uninstalling all video related stuff, then download and install the drivers/video stuff from the HP website and see if that helps.

If HP doesn't offer Win10 drivers for your system, try installing the Win8/8.1 drivers in compatibility mode.

Also, this can be caused by excessively hot temperatures.  Monitor your temps with this free utility:  Also, monitor your system's temperatures with this free tool:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
Blow out the vents/cooler with canned air to make sure that dust isn't causing this problem.  DO NOT USE an air compressor or a vacuum as they can damage the hardware.

Edited by usasma, 05 August 2015 - 08:59 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 ThePie69

ThePie69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 05 August 2015 - 12:28 PM

First, OEM's like HP make modifications to the drivers on a system in order to make the dual graphics cards work well together.

As such you should only use the HP video drivers.

On my Samsung laptop I have broken my video because of this and am unable to fix it without a full reinstall (I can't find the settings that control this).

In my case the AMD driver must be signed by Intel in order to work with the Samsung (and Intel) graphics drivers.

I would first suggest uninstalling all video related stuff, then download and install the drivers/video stuff from the HP website and see if that helps.

If HP doesn't offer Win10 drivers for your system, try installing the Win8/8.1 drivers in compatibility mode.

Also, this can be caused by excessively hot temperatures.  Monitor your temps with this free utility:  Also, monitor your system's temperatures with this free tool:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
Blow out the vents/cooler with canned air to make sure that dust isn't causing this problem.  DO NOT USE an air compressor or a vacuum as they can damage the hardware.

Ya HP refuses to make new drivers for there computers. I got this in 2011 and they haven't given it a single update. If you're going to make a computer with switchable graphics you really need to keep it updated with new drivers.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 06 August 2015 - 04:43 AM

Still, it's your best bet to try their older drivers and set them in compatibility mode.

If that doesn't fix it, then download the latest Win10 drivers from Intel and AMD and install them.

You may experience problems then also - but there's not much we can do to help with this as there are known video driver problems with some Win10 upgrades.

The "fix" is to do a clean install of Win10 (so you don't have any older drivers on the system) - but often this will limit the things that a system can do.  In one case at work, the boot time for a system like this stretched to 1½ minutes - but otherwise the system worked OK (it was an older HP also).

FWIW - I'm saving my money now and intend to get a new system after Win10 has been out for about 6 months.  I figure by that time they'll have worked most of the kinks out of it and it'll be relatively stable.

Edited by usasma, 06 August 2015 - 04:43 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users