Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Apps no longer accessible

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bucky0882

Bucky0882

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 03 August 2015 - 12:20 PM

Microsoft Word has captured my (application).exe files and presents them only in a File Conversion window which won't work.  I know I'm responsible for that corruption though I don't know how I did it.  Any suggestions about eliminating or working around this problem?   

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2015 - 12:29 PM

Hello, and Welcome

Are you saying that every .exe file has a Word icon associated with it and when you double click the exe file Word want to open it?

#3 Bucky0882

Bucky0882
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2015 - 03:37 PM

Yes, Sir.  I did it, I know, but I really would like to undo ir.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 03 August 2015 - 04:08 PM

One thing you can try:  See Comment By Grinler .

Louis

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2015 - 04:11 PM

Go here and download the exe file association fix. It will download as a zip file. Unzip and double click the reg file. Do this in an admin account. If Double Clicking the reg file does not work try the below method.

NOTE:  If your EXE file associations are corrupted, it can be difficult to open REGEDIT, or to even import REG files.  To work around this, press CTRL-ALT-DEL and open Task Manager.  Once there, click File, then hold down the CTRL key and click New Task (Run).  This will open a Command Prompt window.  Enter REGEDIT.EXE and press Enter. In the Menu bar select File Import and browse to the Reg file in the unzipped folder. Click Open.

If hamluis's suggestion does not work try the above fix.

#6 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2015 - 02:28 PM

THIS fix might also be needed.

Save the .reg file to your desktop. Double-click it to merge it to the registry.

Restart the computer.

If the fix only opens as a text file (in Notepad), right-click the file (before opening it) and select Open With > Choose Program... Then, select the Registry Editor.

If the Registry Editor is not in the list, browse to C:\WINDOWS and select regedit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users