Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC gets stuck in limbo overnight, takes down entire network with it

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sstoveld

sstoveld

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 03 August 2015 - 11:03 AM

Hi guys, I'm having this weird problem with my PC that I've been troubleshooting for a while now, and I can't figure it out.

It doesn't seem to happen every night, but more likely 2 out of 3 nights, my PC seems like it's going into a sleep mode or something, that I can't wake it up from. Looking through the event viewer, I can see events up until 12:13 AM, then there is literally nothing until 8:31 AM, where it says that the system has booted up. I assume 12:13 is when the computer went into this weird limbo mode, and 8:31 is when forced the computer to reboot. The weirdest part about this whole thing, when this happens, my entire network goes down. My router loses connection, taking down my access points connected to it. Once I boot my PC back up, connection re-establishes, everything is all good.

This for the most part only happens overnight, but it happened again this morning around 9:50 AM. So that's twice in the same day

My computer is set to never sleep, hibernate is not enabled.

This was happening to me on Windows 8. I downgraded to Windows 7 because I couldn't figure out the problem, and it went away entirely. I recently upgraded to Windows 10, and the issue is back again.
I'm at a loss here, I don't know what else to check.

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 sstoveld

sstoveld
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 08:58 PM

So this has happened about 4 more times since I posted the OP. it happened again at 12:13am, not sure if that is significant. the other times seem somewhat random.

I thought it may have been something to do with the WiFi USB dongle i had plugged in, but it still happens without the dongle plugged in.

Any advice?

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 05 August 2015 - 07:57 AM

Sorry for the delay in responding, but life has once again interfered with my time on the internet :0)

I think it's interesting that the problem goes away w/Win7, but is present w/Win8 and Win10

A significant item to note is that Windows 8/10 is very tightly tied to the UEFI/BIOS in your system, while Win7 isn't anywhere nearly as tightly tied in.

Have you updated your BIOS/UEFI?

USB wifi devices have problems all their own.  Try to avoid using them if you're having problems.

If you can't avoid them entirely, then ensure that you have the latest, Win8/10 compatible drivers for them.
If you can't find compatible drivers, then I'd suggest that it's time to get a new device (that is compatible).

In the old days (XP), sleep problems were primarily due to video drivers.

Since then these problems have also been linked to chipset drivers, BIOS/UEFI, storage controller drivers, and even network drivers.
I suspect anything that has the capability of waking from/putting into sleep could be to blame.

Beyond that, let's try looking at these reports:

1)  Please provide this information (even though you may not be reporting BSOD's) so we can provide a complete analysis (from the Pinned Topic at the top of the forum):  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on Administrative Events
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 sstoveld

sstoveld
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2015 - 10:48 AM

Hi usasma! Thanks for the reply!

Here are the answers to #1

· OS - Windows 10
· x86 (32-bit) or x64? -  x64
· What was original installed OS on system? - 7
· Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) or full retail version (YOU purchased it from retailer)? - Win10 Upgrade
· Age of system (hardware) - Varies, up to 4 years
· Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS? - One week, no

· CPU - Intel i5 2400 @ 3.1GHz (not overclocked)
· Video Card - nVidia GTX 960
· MotherBoardIntel DH67BLB3
· Power Supply - EVGA 500W

· System Manufacturer - Custom Built

· Laptop or Desktop - Desktop

Two zips from #1 and the zip from #2 are attached to this post.

Thanks again

Attached Files

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 04:35 AM

Lot's of warnings from Task Schedule for Media Center.

Next time you're in Task Scheduler (taskschd.msc), go ahead and delete the NT TASK\Microsoft\Windows\Media Center\ folder

You had a BlueScreen event (crash) on 04 August - but the crash dump wasn't saved.

Many reasons for this, but we'll have to look around a bit to see if it's fixable.

Lot's of network issues in the Admin event log.  Please update your networking driver(s) - both wired, wireless, and bluetooth (if so equipped)

Your UEFI/BIOS (version BLH6710H.86A.0076.2010.1115.1959) dates from 2010.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your ystem.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.

You have 4 hard drives.  What is the age of your EVGA 500 watt Power Supply?
Are you sure that this is enough to power the system reliably?

A way to test would be to remove (temporarily) some of the hard drives and other peripherals.

This will decrease the demand on the PSU (and if that's the cause, it'll lessen the crashes that you have)

MSI Afterburner and Riva Tuner (along with EVGA Precision) is known to cause BSOD's in some Windows systems (it's driver is usually RTCore64.sys).  Please un-install them immediately!

If you're overclocking, please stop the overclock while we're troubleshooting.  Feel free to resume the overclock once the system has been stabilized.

Beyond that, there's no record of the BSOD event in the WER logs.

I'd suggest 2 things:

1)  follow the directions here to set your system for Minidumps (much smaller than the MEMORY.DMP file):  http://www.carrona.org/setmini.html
More info on dump file options here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/254649

2)  Then run Driver Verifier according to these instructions:  http://www.carrona.org/verifier.html

Verifier is supposed to cause BSOD's, so if it does - zip up the contents of the C:\Windows\Minidump folder and upload it with your next post.

If you have difficulty zipping it, try copying it to your Desktop and then zip it up.

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 sstoveld

sstoveld
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2015 - 11:08 PM

Hi there, thanks for the detailed reply! Sorry I've been out of town the last week, I just got around to following your suggestions now.

I've deleted the foldler and tasks associated with it from the Task Scheduler.

I checked my Network drivers, and they look to be up to date already.

I went and upgraded my BIOS to the latest available.

I uninstalled the MSI apps and Riva Tuner.

I am not currently overclocking.

I'm pretty sure my 500W PSU should be capable of handling my system. It's been running like a dream for quite a while now when I was on Windows 7. Haven't made any hardware changes since. As far as I can tell, should be good.

I'll keep an eye on my system over the next couple of days to see how things go, and report back.

Thanks again for the help!

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2015 - 04:47 AM

If the networking drivers are already the latest, then please try:

- downloading a fresh copy from the manufacturer's website

- uninstalling the current drivers

- install the freshly downloaded drivers

- monitor for further problems.

Good luck!

#8 sstoveld

sstoveld
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 05:58 PM

It's been a few days now with no issues. I'm somewhat optimistic it may have been the BIOS, and the flash fixed the problem. Going to continue to monitor for now, but it's looking good!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users