Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Macbook Air with Windows 7 installed, how to reset?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 md92h

md92h

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 03 August 2015 - 05:42 AM

A friend gave me his macbook air for reset factory. i have never done a factory reset on any Apple product so i don't know exactly how to do it. but off course there is internet and i have found the instructions. the problem is he has installed a Windows 7 too so it has both Mac OS 10.6.5 and Win 7. according to instructions after i restart the device i have to hold down Command and R buttons together which i did. but every time i end up in the same OS selection page. i tried different timings ; i hold the buttons sooner and later and even at the same time as restarting but it's the same result! so what should i do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dante12

dante12

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 03 August 2015 - 08:01 AM

Try this first to remove windows

1. Boot in normal Mode in Mac OS X

2. Open Bootcamp (type in Spotlight Bootcamp and hit Enter).

3. Choose Option to remove Windows installations. Bootcamp will remove the windows partition and the free space will be added to the main drive.

-- Please tell me if this work. Otherwise you cannot Reset your Macbook --

To Reset the MacBook

1. Restart your mac and boot into Recovery Mode (hit during startup CMD+R)

2. You get a small window with different Options. Choose the Option Reinstall Mac OS X  (This will download and install the Mac OS X Version that was selling with this Macbook.)

3. Done. You can now boot normal and configure the mac. Check first for updates in the App Store. Possible that you get the message to Upgrade to newer Mac OS X Version.

#3 md92h

md92h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2015 - 10:38 AM

@dante12

i did remove Windows but the the OS selection page is still there but without Windows. CMD+R is still not working

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 03 August 2015 - 01:13 PM

@dante12
i did remove Windows but the the OS selection page is still there but without Windows. CMD+R is still not working

Sounds like the Mac might be an old enough model that it does not have a recovery mode (i.e. CMD-R doesn't work). With Mac OS 10.6.x, you definitely will not have a recovery partition...that started with Mac OS 10.7. And it was Mac models that were released after 10.7 that had the built in recovery mode by Internet (some Macs just before that time could be upgraded to have it with a firmware patch).

If that is the case, then you need a separate recovery disk/disc that came with the Mac. It will either be a optical disc or a USB disk.

The other option would be to upgrade the Mac OS to the most current version (or at least Lion aka 10.7 if you can get)...assuming you can make that upgrade. That would give you a recover partition to use.

#5 md92h

md92h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 05:12 AM

@smax013

thanks i'm going to ask my friend if he has the recovery disk. if not then i will upgrade it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users