Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Is Stealing Your Bandwidth 'By Default'

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 03 August 2015 - 04:57 AM

Windows 10 is Stealing your Internet Bandwidth

The feature, known as Windows Update Delivery Optimization (WUDO), is initially designed to help users get faster software updates, which is quite a good idea to handle massive internet traffic of up to 40 Terabits per second (TBps).

WUDO works a lot like torrents work. Your computer running Windows 10 is used as part of a peer-to-peer network to deliver software updates faster to others, each person distributing a little bit of the files across multiple computers and helping everyone download updates quickly.

But, this peer-to-peer sharing method offered by Windows 10 is using your precious Internet bandwidth, without hinting you about it, because the feature is enabled by default in Windows 10 Home and Pro edition. WUDO is also enabled in Windows 10 Enterprise and Education, but only for the local network.

How to Disable Windows Update Delivery Optimization (WUDO)?

Sadly, Windows 10 Is Stealing Your Bandwidth 'By Default' — Disable It Immediately

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 03 August 2015 - 05:27 AM

One of the first thing I disabled on my Windows 10 upgrade. I let the P2P enabled, but only for computers on my network since I'll have around 4 of them ending up with Windows 10 and I don't mind if they download updates from each others.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 03 August 2015 - 06:15 AM

Help me understand this?  If y'all are willing?  If I have it enabled, that means folks can use my excess bandwidth to make their downloads faster?  I might not mind that.  I live in a retirement complex, and although I can afford Xfinity, maybe others can't.  Yet I can't understand how they can 'share' any bandwidth if they aren't also on Xfinity.

Is bandwidth pooled, somehow, irrespective of carrier?

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2015 - 06:47 AM

If it's anybody outside your network it means anybody on the internet with Windows 10 can be using your bandwidth for updates. It's like a torrent client. I can't believe this is turned on by default. A lot of people have data caps.

Edited by JohnC_21, 03 August 2015 - 06:48 AM.

#5 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2015 - 06:51 AM

Thanks, John.  I don't have any data caps.  Xfinity did away with that September two years ago.  Given the horror of mandatory updates and the fact so many seniors live nearby, I'm gonna turn that WUDO back on.  Hope it helps them.  A lot of them use DSL, which is the only alternative to Xfinity around here.

You're right, though, it's NOT fair to those with data caps.

Edited by brainout, 03 August 2015 - 07:05 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,672 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2015 - 06:55 AM

Your bandwidth will only be affected if you enable that P2P option for computers on the Internet too. If you keep it to computers on your local network, it'll be fine.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2015 - 06:56 AM

That's interesting about the elimination of Data caps at Xfinity. I wonder if U-verse would be doing the same but I personally do not go anywhere near the cap. Juat wondering if the mobile version of Windows 10 will have this on be default and if the mobile version will be getting similar updates to the PC version. That's where bandwith will be important.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,672 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2015 - 06:58 AM

Well, don't you have the option to allow big download/upload on your phone only if you are on the WiFi, and not on your personal data usage? Phones have more options that controls the bandwidth than computers.

unite_blue.png

#9 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2015 - 10:18 AM

Parallel article in Computerworld, here.  I didn't notice it saying much of new import, but the pic on shutoff was helpful.

#10 Plumber

Plumber

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2015 - 12:54 PM

I used 10 for about a week and sure glad I uninstalled it.I see all the tips and tricks here on the forum and wonder how the folks without computer knowledge make out.Sad when you think about it that all the crap that MS throws in and us untechies have no clue.

#11 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 13,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 03 August 2015 - 05:16 PM

Its just too bad if you connect to the net via 3 or 4 g dongle @ $50 per 3 GiB , As they also count uploads in that. Will get kinda expensive fast.

#12 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,059 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 03:50 PM

Post #11, people who connect like that (I was one once, but at a slightly cheaper price) REALLY need to block flash and to run something like noscript. They will notice a huge jump in the loading speed of webpages, and a giant drop in the bandwidth they use per day, by blocking megabyte hungry junk from loading in the corners of pages.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#13 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 08:59 PM

I'm more concerned about exploits. Letting just anyone "use" your computer sounds like a security breach waiting to happen.

Edited by FrankOtheMountaiN, 04 August 2015 - 08:59 PM.

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users