Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Migrate old computer running xp to new computer running 8.1 help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 balloonman

balloonman

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 03 August 2015 - 04:20 AM

Hi,  A bit of a technophobe here.

I have purchased a new lenovo pc tower computer which comes with windows 8.1 preinstalled.  I have had a look online trying to find the best way to migrate everything on my old machine running xp to the new computer but I am a little confused.

Can someone suggest the best way to do this.

Many thanks in advance and apologies if this has been answered elsewhere.

:smash:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dlkramnic

dlkramnic

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 02:31 PM

Not sure what you mean by "everything", but I think I would just burn a back-up CD. If you mean the whole hard drive including the operating system, that's a bit more complex. What do you want to do?

#3 balloonman

balloonman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 04:55 PM

Hi Dlkramnic, and thanks for the reply.

I am really just looking for advice on how to migrate from my old computer to the new one.  My old computer is running windows xp but the new one has windows 8.1 pre installed.  Whether using windows xp on the old computer is an issue or not, I don't know, but I thought I should mention it.

Microsoft doesn't want to help as there is no support for XP when I look for the Windows Easy Transfer files.  The only other thing I see to help is Zinstall but it seems quite expensive

Do I simply unplug the old computer then fire up the new computer?  Will my settings for my email, bookmarks and programs etc transfer over automatically?

I do have an external hard drive but I'm not sure what or how I should download onto it to help me with the process.

I appreciate all the advice but I'm an old technophobic geezer and I really need it spelled out in simple one syllable sentences.

Thanks in advance for your help.

#4 dlkramnic

dlkramnic

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 05 August 2015 - 08:40 AM

Gotcha. I also have an XP machine, and only recently got an 8.1 machine, so I just went through all this myself. Transferring all that will be a bit like moving from one house to another. I found the easiest way to do this is to use a flash USB drive, or thumb drive, one that's big enough for all your files and folders, maybe 50 gigabytes or so. Just make sure it has enough memory space on it. You can use your external drive also, which would probably be better. You're going to backup the XP machine to that, then load it on the new machine. (this is your moving truck). There is another way, called Peer-to-Peer transfer, using a hard cable between the 2, or over a LAN (Local Area Network, WiFi, Modem), but this can get quite involved, depending on how much stuff you have on the XP. And, it's always a good idea to completely backup the whole machine anyway.

First, get good virus and adware scanners on the new machine, so you can scan the files and stuff as you load them, just to be sure you don't infect it with something hidden in the XP

Now connect you backup drive of choice to the XP, create a new file on it and name it 'XP Backup'.

Next, 'Export' your browser favorites. On your desktop, right-click on an open area, hover over 'New' then select 'Folder'. A new folder will appear on the desk top. Right-click on it and select 'rename' and call it 'Favorites backup'. Next, open your browser, select 'tools' (I don't know which browser you have but they all have a tool menu). Select 'Export/Import'. The goal here is to export Favorites to the file you just created on the desktop. This will then be backed up with everything else. This may not be necessary, but I did it to make sure it all got transferred.

Now if you have the same version of XP as me, go to the start menu, and select Help and Support Center. Type in "backup" in the search box, then enter. What you want here is to use the 'Backup Wizard', and have some instructions to refer to.

Select "Common tasks: backup" from the results.

Select "Backup files and folders to a file or tape", then "step by step procedure", then "Using the Windows interface". Read these instructions thoroughly, and leave them in the background for reference as you continue.

Step 1 will read "Open Backup", with the word 'backup' highlighted. Click on it; this will bring up the Backup Wizard. Click on 'Advanced Mode'. Select 'Backup Wizard (Advanced)' on the 'Welcome' tab. Click 'Next'.

Now you have a choice of what to back up. I opted for 'Backup everything on this computer'. Click 'Next'. The next screen is where you will select the your external drive. It should appear on the drop down menu in the middle. Click on 'browse', and navigate to the folder you created named 'XP Backup'. Click 'next'. A screen should now come up that states the settings you have selected. If everything is correct, click 'finish'.

If everything worked according to plan, you now have the XP backed up. Use the 'Safely remove hardware' button on the bottom right to disconnect the external drive, then connect it to the new machine. Now import your Favorites. Open Internet Explorer from the desktop (not the one from the start menu. Sidebar: there are 2 ways to display IE in 8.1. One is the tile on the start menu, AKA Metro user interface, the other is from the desktop task bar. This is the one you want.), click on the Favorites star (top right). Next to 'Add to favorites' is a dropdown menu arrow. Click on that and select 'Import and export...' On the next screen, select 'Import from a file'. Click 'Next'. On the next screen, 'Browse' (navigate) to the 'XP Backup' file, then to the favorites file you made on the XP desktop. When you find it, click 'Next', then 'Import'. All your Favorites from the XP will then appear in you new computer's Favorites.

I'm going to stop right here for now, to let you breath. If you get this far in one day, you're not as technophobic as you think. Let me know if you have success so far, or problems, and then we can tackle the programs, which is rather time consuming, with many options. For most of your programs, it is best to just re-download them to the new machine, thereby getting the latest versions. I copied some of my older version programs over to my new machine, since the new versions change the associated files, and then they don't work on the old versions anymore. (I still use my XP for a lot of things). I would explore that first. If you could provide a list of your XP programs it would help.

As for regular files, drag and drop from the external drive into new folders and libraries on the new machine. I would study and get to know 8.1 well before doing this, because 8.1's filing architecture is rather confusing, at first.

If you want to try the Peer to Peer method, it's a different ball game, so let us know.

Edited by dlkramnic, 05 August 2015 - 08:52 AM.

#5 balloonman

balloonman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2015 - 02:28 PM

Fantastic info, thank you so much.  It's a lot to take in for a computer novice but I will give this a go in a couple of days as I am in the middle of important business stuff at the moment.

If I am still online I will let you know how I get on.

Once again, thank you so much for taking the time to explain, it is very much appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users