Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless network adapter - constantly disconnecting

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 confoosedguy

confoosedguy

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 03 August 2015 - 12:23 AM

Hello, I am running Windows 7.  About every ten minutes my wireless network adapter is disconnecting.  I am running Windows 7.  Is this usually caused by a virus of some sort?  It's not like it's on a timer from some kind of script though.  For example it's been working right now at least for the past 15 mins.   

The behavior is inconsistent also.  I say this because when I right click on the disconnected wifi connection (lower right in the tray) and select "Troubleshoot" about every one out of three times Windows will successfully reset the wireless network adapter.  The other two times it says it can't.  Does this provide a clue as to what it is?

Any help much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phild0tcom

phild0tcom

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 03 August 2015 - 02:30 AM

Something that will cause this is wireless interference on a certain channel.

Logon to your router and change the Wifi channel (normally auto, channel 6).

Try channels up and down and see if that helps.

#3 Firehouse

Firehouse

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 03 August 2015 - 03:57 AM

Hello,

please download MiniToolBox by Farbar and save it to your desktop.

Run tool as Administrator and make sure that these options are checked :

• Flush DNS
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List Installed Programs

Post log here .

Step 2

Download TFC by OldTimer and save it to your desktop.

Run it as Administrator and click on Start button.

If programs need reboot, allow it to do so.

NOTE: IF your desktop disappears, don't panic, it's normal.

Step 3

Scan with Malwarebytes AntiRootkit

Please download MBAR and save it to your desktop.

Run tool as Administrator, tool will extract itself, and then launch.

Click Next to accept terms and conditions, and click Update to obtain latest definitions.

If malware is found click on Cleanup button , but make sure that Create restore point option is checked before proceeding !

Program will ask you to restart, allow it to do so.

Note: If you're experiencing internet connection issues or other anomalies after running MBAR and removal of rootkits, it is recommended to run fixdamage.exe located inside mbar folder. Run it as Administrator and press Y if asks you do you want to continue.

Step 4

Scan with Norton Power Eraser

CAUTION: NPE uses aggressive methods to detect and remove malware,so do not touch any of settings !

Download NPE by Symantec and save it to your desktop.

Run the tool as Administrator,accept license agreement,and click  Scan button. 

Program will ask you to reboot to continue scanning (includes rootkit scan),so allow it to restart.

After restart program will automatically launch itself and start scanning. Scanning takes 5-10 minutes,so be patient !

If malware is detected,make sure that Create restore point option is checked,then click Fix button. After that,click on Restart now to complete removal.

Step 5

Scan with Dr.Web Cure It !

Download Dr.Web Cure It ! and save it to your desktop.

Run the tool as Administrator,accept license agreement by putting a checkmark on it, and click Scan.

Scan may take a while so be patient !

If there's malware found, click on Neutralize button, if program asks for restart, allow it to do so.

#4 confoosedguy

confoosedguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 03 August 2015 - 11:35 AM

Ok thank you guys.  I am actually on a shared router in an apartment building, and it's the summer and a beach area so more tenants.  I guess I should ask the building manager to switch the router to a different broadcasting channel.  One thing I noticed though:  after I posted around midnight the connection strength increased and the wifi connection remained connected for an hour straight before going to bed.  

Ok thanks, I am assuming based on this information I should still run the utilities as well as ask the guy to switch the broadcast channel.  I will do these and then post results here.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users