Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Antivirus software

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 02 August 2015 - 08:15 PM

Should I keep AVG Free 2015 or is Avast better? I've been hearing lots of good things about Avast lately...

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,947 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 02 August 2015 - 08:20 PM

anything other than avg or mcafee

Avast is cool

Avira is ok

The new bitdefender is gaining ground......but only in beta stage as of now

Edited by Condobloke, 02 August 2015 - 08:21 PM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#3 TheN00bBuilder

TheN00bBuilder

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 02 August 2015 - 08:20 PM

Just be smart and use the one in Windows. I mean, as long as you don't go downloading all willy-nilly and going to suspicious websites, you will be fine. 

Sorry if I snap at you. I can't stand stupid for more than 5 minutes at a time.

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,947 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 02 August 2015 - 08:26 PM

And then again if you quite inadvertently land on a 'suspicious' website....you may well be screwed.

Choose wisely.

Team whatever your choice is with MBAM (malwarebytes), and malware anti exploit, and some reasonable protection in your browser.....adblock and/or no script....

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 02 August 2015 - 08:28 PM

I have been disappointed with AVG ever since they made a decision in April 2010 to partner with LimeWire and promote the use of peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing, a security risk which can make your system susceptible to a smörgåsbord of malware infections, remote attacks, and exposure of personal information.

There have been numerous complaints about issues and conflicts with other security tools like Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. Read these related discussions:Even MajorGeeks, a popular download hosting site, had issued a Statement on AVG Free and removed its Editor's Pick listing at that time.

There have been reports of issues with the computer starting properly on 64-bit Windows sytems for which AVG has had to release these fix instructions.

There have also been numerous reported problems with computers after using features like PC Analyzer and PC Tuneup which purport to fix registry errors in order to make the system more stable and various optimizing tools which can make changes to system settings.

And finally there have been many user complaints about the lack of adequate AVG Customer Support in addressing issues related to the use of their product.

For these reasons, I no longer recommend AVG as a free alternative anti-virus solution.

My personal recommendation is ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus if choosing a paid for program as it leaves a small footprint...meaning it is not intrusive and does not utilize a lot of system resources. Emsisoft Anti-Malware is also a good choice for the same reason and so is Kaspersky Anti-virus. If you don't want to pay then I would recommend avast! Free Antivirus or Bitdefender Anti-virus Free Edition.

ESET and Emsisoft Anti-Malware also have the added advantage of blocking the installation of most Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) (such as adware, spyware, unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers) if you enable that feature.

eam_pup_728x574_en.png

See my comments in Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools as to why I recommend Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro and Emsisoft Anti-Malware.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,476 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 08:31 PM

Just be smart and use the one in Windows. I mean, as long as you don't go downloading all willy-nilly and going to suspicious websites, you will be fine.

Keep in mind that even legitimate web sites and the ads they display can be a source of infection...exploit kits and drive-by downloads.

#7 TheN00bBuilder

TheN00bBuilder

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 02 August 2015 - 08:37 PM

Geez guys, I know. Calm your keyboards. All I'm trying to say is for a free AV, Windows Defender is fine if you aren't a total idiot.

Sorry if I snap at you. I can't stand stupid for more than 5 minutes at a time.

#8 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 08:46 PM

Thanks for all your input! :)

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#9 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 08:48 PM

Keep in mind that even legitimate web sites and the ads they display can be a source of infection...exploit kits and drive-by downloads.

I stay away from those phony "Download now" ads...

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,476 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 09:16 PM

...All I'm trying to say is for a free AV, Windows Defender is fine if you aren't a total idiot.

I never said I disagreed. In fact, if you read Choosing an Anti-Virus Program, I have it listed as an option for Windows 8/10 users. However, I did provide my recommendations and added the fact that suspicious websites are not the only thing to be concerned about.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,476 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 09:16 PM

Thanks for all your input! :)

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users