Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer BSOD and Lockup after Update KB2952664

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 02 August 2015 - 08:05 PM

My computer started to lock up and BSOD every once in a while so I started to uninstall recent updates. This one "Update KB2952664" would come back every time I would reboot, even after turning off updates.

I was finally able to remove it and reboot without it returning but now it continues to lock up when I shut down or when I do just about anything. I can get about 3 or 4 minutes of work done before a lockup.

The BSOD is 0X000000F4 which doesn't tell you much. I would really like to get control again but just in case, I have ordered another Samsung 850 SSD and will reinstall the whole OS when that arrives.

I attempted to update and run Malwarebytes but that froze as well. I don't think it is malware related. I ran an MSE scan as well and that completed but found nothing.

I thought I had System Restore turned on but it appears I did not.

The last time I made a system image it Blue Screened at the very end. That was about 2 weeks ago...

I have tried doing a Startup Repair with the original disk but no luck with that either. It went through the process like it had worked but locked up again on shutdown.

Does anyone have any suggestions for gaining control again and resolving this problem? At this point I will try just about anything.

Edited by computerxpds, 02 August 2015 - 08:54 PM.
Moved to BSOD forum from Windows 7

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Pronounce

Pronounce

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 08 August 2015 - 07:13 PM

(removed by poster)

Edited by Pronounce, 09 August 2015 - 04:33 PM.

#3 blueelvis

blueelvis

Bleep Blop Bleep

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,666 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 09 August 2015 - 01:06 AM

@rigacci - Sorry for the delay in responding to this thread :(

Any specific reason why you started uninstalling the Windows Updates?

Could you please follow the below instructions and upload the ZIP file along with your next post?
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

This would help in diagnosing the problems better. If you are not able to access Windows normally, please try running the tool in Safe Mode. I see that there are cases of lockups due to this specific update, have you tried uninstalling in the Safe Mode?

Let us know how it goes ^_^

-Pranav

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

In case I have been helping you and you haven't received a reply from me in 48 hours, please feel free to PM me. Anything else? Still feel free to PM me :)

Did you read this? http://omgdebugging.com/5-tips-for-getting-the-best-bang-for-the-buck-at-fast-food-joints/

#4 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2015 - 07:44 AM

I thought it might have been caused by a recent windows update, so uninstalling the updates looked like the easiest thing to do, at first.

I then ran MSCONFIG and used "selective startup", killing all services and then putting each one back and testing it.

Finally appeared to narrow it down to some NVIDIA services so I uninstalled all NVIDIA programs. Worked great until I went online and then it would freeze all over again. Tried turning services off again but you need a  certain number of services just to use the browser. Very time consuming.

I finally got a new SSD and reinstalled everything. I didn't want to format the existing one for this very reason. I will hook it back up and try this tool with that. I hate letting it get the best of me, y'know?

I am away for the weekend so will try that as soon as I return. I saw you folks suggesting the tool to others but didn't want to run it without someone telling me to. That is like running combofix on your own, which is a no-no.

I will post the results and let's see if I can get control back.

Thanks very much for the response.

Edited by rigacci, 09 August 2015 - 07:45 AM.

#5 blueelvis

blueelvis

Bleep Blop Bleep

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,666 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2015 - 08:12 AM

That's fine.

Just so that you know, the tool which I asked you to run is completely safe. It just collects some diagnostic log files and does not change anything on the system :)

Let us know how it goes with the SSD and in case of any problems, feel free to post back ^_^

Regards,
Pranav

In case I have been helping you and you haven't received a reply from me in 48 hours, please feel free to PM me. Anything else? Still feel free to PM me :)

Did you read this? http://omgdebugging.com/5-tips-for-getting-the-best-bang-for-the-buck-at-fast-food-joints/

#6 Pronounce

Pronounce

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2015 - 10:10 AM

(removed by poster)

#7 Pronounce

Pronounce

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2015 - 10:46 AM

(removed by poster)

#8 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2015 - 03:32 PM

I did not post either of the past 2 posts.

I will post after doing what you requested but probably not until Monday evening.

Whoever posted #6 and #7 is posting within my topic so please disregard those posts.

DR

#9 Pronounce

Pronounce

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2015 - 04:09 PM

(removed by poster)

#10 blueelvis

blueelvis

Bleep Blop Bleep

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,666 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 04:18 AM

I did not post either of the past 2 posts.

I will post after doing what you requested but probably not until Monday evening.

Whoever posted #6 and #7 is posting within my topic so please disregard those posts.

DR

Sure thing. I will be waiting :)

-Pranav

#11 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 03:18 PM

Hi Pranav!

OK, the diagnostic went OK but the Perfmon would not. I sent a jpeg with the error I got. It was the same in normal as well as Safe Mode.

Here is the rest of the info you requested:

OS - Windows 7 Professional
X64
Windows 7 Professional was original OS installed
It is an OEM version that I installed, from New Egg.
System is about 2 years old.
I have never reinstalled the OS

CPU - i5 3450 Ivy Bridge
Graphics Card EVGA GeForce GTX 650
MB - ASRock H77 Pro4-M LGA 1155
Corsair CX500 Power Supply

Self-Built Desktop

I was able to uninstall that update, finally, but it doesn't appear to have made any difference.

Let me know if there is any other info you need.

And thank you very much for taking the time to help.

Dave

Attached Files

#12 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 03:19 PM

I did also do a memory test as well as an HD diagnostic and they both came out OK.

I have 32GB of RAM, GSkill.

DR

#13 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 06:44 AM

bump.